watch body from lofts
All  1-7  8-15

Previous
Next
746.8 In reply to 746.7 
Hi Will - difference and union are certainly the more frequently used booleans, intersection is definitely used less often but it is particularly handy for quickly creating the combination between 2 profiles like in this case.

You could get the same end result using boolean difference instead. For that way you would first extrude the top profile into a solid, and on the side profile you would just have the top and bottom curves, not a fully closed loop. Then you could use Boolean Difference to cut the extrusion with the top and bottom side curves, that will slice the extrusion into different solid pieces and you can throw away the extra pieces.

The intersection method is just fewer steps.

But one other cool thing about the intersection method between 2 curves is that history is active for this case, so you can tweak the curves and see the intersection result update with your curve edits. For example with this intersection (here I have moved the curves away from the centerline before doing the intersection to keep them out of the way of the solid):

Then when editing the control points of the side curve, the solid will automatically update:

> PS - Goodness Michael, I hope you can get information like this in your
> documentation somehow so everyone using MOI can get the maximum
> benefit from all of MOI's tools!

Well, I'm going to try! :) Probably it will get more fleshed out and complete over time. There will be an initial batch of stuff that will go out with V1, but it's likely that I will continue to add various tutorials online after the release of 1.0 .

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
746.9 In reply to 746.8 
Yep, that's probably how I would have made it doing an extrusion and then subtracting out to get the desired shape!

Intersection is hella cool - I'll certainly be using it from naou awn!

Well I hope you consider PDF documentation since it's easier to print. The now defunct Eovia used PDFs for their Hexagon program AND they were able to include Quicktime movies embedded within the PDF file as tutorials - I thought that was pretty cool at the time.

A lot of companies use HTML to achieve that kind of functionality but then you can't simply print your manual...

Either way, I look forward to it!

-Will

PS - When I first tried this, it didn't work for me (the command executed but nothing resulted) I deleted those two curves and tried a simpler rectangle and a simple curved profile like your 2nd picture above - that worked?

I guess I'm asking, what are the limitations? Does both curves have to be the same size, or "cover" each other in space? I'm not sure what was wrong with my initial two shapes - I think the shape curve was longer in one direction than the profile, I probably should have attached the .3dm but it was just a quick test and I closed the file...

EDITED: 12 Jul 2007 by WILLBELLJR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
746.10 In reply to 746.9 
Hi Will, I think I'll be doing the docs in HTML and then also convert them into a PDF version that can be used for printing.

> I guess I'm asking, what are the limitations? Does both curves have to be the
> same size, or "cover" each other in space?

Just the curves should be planar, and the extrusions of the curve should intersect each other.

I'm not sure what might have gone wrong with your first attempt... Next time save off the curves and send them over and that will help!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
746.11 In reply to 746.10 
Glad to hear there will be a PDF for printing!

Okay will do about sending .3DMs - I think however my profile curve may not have been planar - I'll do a quick test again, this time moving a point "out of wack" from the Top view to see if that causes the object not to be generated as happened to me before.

This does bring up one point - when a command fails, MOI doesn't display any kind or warning or error message?

Granted, I'm pretty used to that now (specially with fillet!) knowing that if I don't see a "calculating..." msg, I know the command has failed - the same with other tools, but when I was working with the intersect (as would a newbie), I didn't know at first if the command had failed or if I neglected to do something. (Of course now I know the command failed.)

I know popping up a dialog to say "command failed" would get annoying on the quick fast - perhaps just some text in that status area "Failed..." or simply turning the status area yellow or a light pink if you get an error back from one of your functions.

I guess in short, I'm saying that the silent failures within MOI sometimes leaves you head-scratching not knowing what's wrong.

Deselecting all and selecting the offending object would be a great help at times too but I don't know what kind of error info you may receive back from your functions - so this might not be feasible.

Having MOI deselect your stuff may also be an annoyance, but I can't see that being any worse than running the command 2 - 3 times wondering why it's not working (which I end up doing most of the time anyway...)

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
746.12 In reply to 746.11 
Hi Will, definitely these are great ideas, I know the lack of error or just feedback in general is a problem.

I haven't quite figured out a particularly nice unobtrusive way to handle it yet, it will probably take some experimenting with a variety of methods, that's why it hasn't made it into V1. Just like you mentioned, something that whapped you in the face too much would get annoying.

One thing I have thought about is a text box in the lower-right corner of the screen, possibly even a bit wider than the side pane (imagine the Options and Help buttons sliding over to the left a bit for that).

One problem is that is can be difficult to phrase error messages or feedback with only a few words, I often times have problems with trying to squeeze very much text into just the width of the side pane... Streaming messages down to the bottom-right corner would be pretty unobtrusive, but maybe _too_ unobtrusive...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
746.13 In reply to 746.12 
Dunno, I've sorta got used to looking for that status line at the top ("Calculating..."), if I have to also start looking at the bottom? Dunno...

Okay!, That's it! - It's time for MOI to have Voice Prompting!

Hmmm, Majel Roddenberry hasn't had any Star Trek voice acting, or cameo parts in a while now - I'm sure she'd LOVE to lend her voice for the differing voice prompts and status msgs you may need! :-p

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
746.14 In reply to 746.13 
Probably one line is not going to cut it for many messages though...

The other thing that would be nice about an out of the way area is it would work as a general area to stream non-error supplemental information, like some commands could spit out various information about what just happened on successful operations too (think stuff like "joined 25 curves into 3 closed loops", etc... ).

It will take some experimentation to see what different approaches feel like.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
746.15 In reply to 746.14 
Thankyou and much appriciated help

Sorry fro the delay in responding was quite ill yesteday (flu - yuck)

getting my head around the concepts of MoI is the hard step but once you know
its really fun .

Im having difficulty knowing how or when surfaces are retain or lost but you suggestions have helped

For making PDF there is an excellent software called PagePlus by serif
which I use and does a wounderful job also the the open source Scribus but havent used this much as yet
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-7  8-15