Q about sweep

Next
Greetings everyone! First post on the forum, so noob alert :)

I'm trying to create a shape using sweep, and i ran into weird problem: some of the "seams" do not match correctly.

If you load the attached file, you will notice that the red and white parts do not match.

What is the "correct" (= easy) way to create something like this? I first created the lower face using the "profile" and "rail" curves with the Sweep. Then i tried to use the border from Sweep's result as a rail for the "bevel" shape, but it did not work. So i extruded the shape, used Fillet for the corners, removed the borders and finally used bottom border as a rail for the shape, one side/corner at the time.

Thx
/Kimmo
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7417.2 In reply to 7417.1 
Hi KiLa,

Work on a larger scale.

The result that you would get looks like this ?

Bear17

EDITED: 27 May 2015 by BEAR17

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7417.3 In reply to 7417.1 
Hi Kimmo, welcome to the forum!

The sweep is having problems because you're doing them in separate pieces, if you do it as all one single sweep it should work better for you.

To do it as a large piece you will need to form a long joined curve out of those edges - to do that select the edges and then run Edit > Join - that will create a new long curve object and those are the ones you want to use for your sweep rails. when you do just that one long sweep it should be better formed.

The sweep will make a kind of funky sharp lip on the result though, is that what you're trying to do?

It's more typical to use filleting to round off edges rather than trying to make them manually with sweeping. That would go something like this - starting with just one surface:

Select that surface and run Construct > Extrude to punch it out into a solid:

Select the top face of the solid and run Construct > Blend to round off that top edge:

Something along those lines is a more typical type of construction.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for the replies! I will try to increase the scale ans see if that helps. Also, joining those edges before using them as a rail might help.

Im tyring to creata an object where top an bottom edges are straight but the sides are curve.

-Kimmo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 7417.5 deleted 28 May 2015 by KILA

Previous
Join seems to be the magic tool :)

Here is something i did try to achieve