Crash Reports?

Next
Hi, this is a question for Michael but I thought I'd post it in case others had the same question.

I'm doing scripting, and occasionally manage to crash MoI. I'm almost certainly doing something stupid in my script. Are the crash reports of interest in this case? I don't want to bombard you with data that doesn't apply in the general case.

Thanks!
___Samuel___
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7411.2 In reply to 7411.1 
As a crash is not normal in a perfect program... ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7411.3 In reply to 7411.2 
It's true :)

Sometimes, I misunderstand what parameters I'm supposed to be sending to a geometry factory. And then there are those bugs that end up consuming all available memory because I forget to reset a limiter. Even nice friendly scripting languages like javascript give you a lot of opportunities to shoot yourself in the foot if you're not careful.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7411.4 In reply to 7411.1 
Hi Samuel, yes any crash reports for unexpected parameter types would be good to send in, it definitely is a goal to handle those errors more gracefully than crashing. If you can send the script too if possible for me to be able to repeat the crash that would also help as well.

Running out of memory is a somewhat different category, it's very much more difficult to handle out of memory conditions gracefully because there are so many places that allocate memory, it makes for so many potential places for errors it becomes difficult to track down all the different possible code paths. It's not unusual for a crash report to not even be generated when you run out of memory since it takes memory to generate the report itself. So out of memory crashes are the one kind of crash that I'm not all that confident about eliminating.

Any other kind of crash other than out of memory related ones are bugs that I'd like to fix though. You can e-mail them directly to me at moi@moi3d.com. Thanks,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7411.5 In reply to 7411.4 
OK. In the future, if I manage to crash things, I'll send you the reports and the script that caused the crash.

Thanks!
__Samuel__
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All