MoI -> Physical

Next
I've created some jewelry in MoI which I then had 3D printed into physical items using Shapeways. I'm impressed with the results, but I also want the instant gratification of printing stuff myself rather than sending it off to a service bureau and waiting a few weeks. So, here's an example of a design in MoI that I cut out of wood using a CNC router.

Here's the design:

I wrote a short javascript to generate a straight three-strand braid. Then, using the Flow command, I made it into the circular "doily" around the central cylinder. I got a bit distracted at this point, thinking I was going to write a generalized script for MoI for creating n-strand braids. Unfortunately, I discovered I'm not smart enough, so I'll have to leave that to Max :)

Anyway, I export the design as an STL file, and process it into G-Code for the CNC router. Because I have access to a 3-axis router, the design has to be what some call 2.5D rather than 3D - it can't have undercuts. This design, however, looks pretty good if you project it into bas-relief.

Here it is while carving:

The final product:

The final result is 75mm across. I used a 1.5mm router for this carving, but I think the next one I'll go for a smaller router to get a little more detail. The trade-off is that the smaller router size will take longer to cut.

Anyway, I feel like this is a really solid toolchain. With MoI, I have the power to design beyond anything I'd be able to cut with this router. The scripting ability lets me explore ideas in ways that I wouldn't be able to do by hand.

I'd be interested to see what other physical objects people are printing / cutting / crafting from MoI designs!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7402.2 In reply to 7402.1 
It's always great for me to see real world products created from the nothingness of a 3D app. Love the colour of that timber too :)

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7402.3 In reply to 7402.1 
That turned out really nice!

Is that machine the 3D Carbide CNC Mill that was on KickStarter? How do you like it? Have you tried cutting a soft metal?

Ed Ferguson
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7402.4 In reply to 7402.3 
Hi Ed, it is indeed the Kickstarted Nomad 3D. I haven't tried metals yet. It's been quite a learning curve just to get it working on wood - mostly because I have no prior experience with CNC. They make certain things quite easy, but there are some basics which have taken me awhile (really trivial stuff, like how to secure the stock on the table for working).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7402.5 In reply to 7402.2 
I love the wood color too. This is a piece of walnut that I got at a local art supply place. The more I work with varieties of wood, the more I appreciate the different attributes of the different kinds.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7402.6 In reply to 7402.1 
Hi libelle, it turned out great! Thanks very much for sharing the pictures - they would look really nice on the gallery if you wouldn't mind putting them there too! http://moi3d.com/gallery/

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7402.7 In reply to 7402.6 
I'm honored :)

They're uploaded.