Separating many objects?

Next
Hi all:

I have a problem with a client's STEP file of their product, coming from Solidworks.
It's a complex product, with over 300-pieces, however, the way that it was exported NONE of the parts have unique names / tags / ID's etc. Therefore, when I import the piece into MOI, it's just one single object. When I click on that single object name in the browser window, it does indicate the total number of objects in the model. So...is there anyway that I can have MOI "explode" the pieces so that each has a unique name or layer, so that I don't have to click select one-by-one for hundreds of parts?

Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7392.2 In reply to 7392.1 
Hi sneather,

re:
> So...is there anyway that I can have MOI "explode" the pieces so that each has a unique name or layer

Try the script from here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5710.20

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7392.3 In reply to 7392.2 
Thanks, Michael.

Oddly, I can't get the script to do anything. I pasted the script in to my "Shortcuts" menu, but it doesn't do what I was hoping. I'd like to attach part of the problem model, but the compressed file is still 12-megs. How may I post that here?

Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7392.4 In reply to 7392.3 
Hi sneather,

> Oddly, I can't get the script to do anything. I pasted the script in to my "Shortcuts" menu,
> but it doesn't do what I was hoping.

Hmm, I just tested it over here and it seems to work ok for me - did you select the objects you wanted to have names assigned before running the script?

The script should work on selected objects and any unnamed selected objects unique object names like object_0001, object_0002, etc...

> I'd like to attach part of the problem model, but the compressed file is still 12-megs. How may I post that here?

You'll need to use a file sharing service like DropBox or Microsoft OneDrive that can host your large file and then you can post a link to it here, or send me the link through e-mail if you want to keep it private.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7392.5 In reply to 7392.4 
Hi Michael,

Yes, I was careful to select my objects before running the script. it's totally possible that it's not even the right solution for what I'm selecting, so who knows? That's why I want to have you take a quick look at the project file. I'll post it with my YouSendIt account, and email you that link.

Thanks so much!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7392.6 In reply to 7392.5 
Hi sneather, I just sent you an e-mail as well, but the reason why the script is not working for you is it only assigns names to currently unnamed objects, and your file has nearly all the objects assigned to one name in it already. If you clear the object names from everything then the script should work for you.

To clear object names, select the objects and then click on the name line in the properties panel (the one labeled #1 here: http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference11.htm#propertiespanel) and delete any text in the dialog that pops up and push OK.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All