Let's Model a Car: A Tutorial
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-79

Previous
Next
7389.61 In reply to 7389.60 
Hi Keith,

> Once highlighted select Smooth Edges from the model menu and use the default setting.

Hmmm, I think that's probably just going to modify how the newly created normals are generated so at least it won't have a hard break in those spots.

What you really want to have is the "break angle" normals creating mechanism totally turned off and instead the original vertex normals imported from the .obj file to be used instead.

In this Carrara discussion thread there is some similar stuff being discussed:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/48202/

The part of particular interest is:
"looks like theres also a on off switch “smooth” which turns of the auto smoothing and uses the the original obj data"

I think from the context of the previous message that is being replied to that this "smooth" switch mentioned there is on some kind of "Surfaces" pane - any luck finding that?

> I don't suppose anyone has a method of fixing the problem before importing teh obj to Carrara such
> as a script of a work around involving passing the file through another program?

It seems unlikely because the problem seems to be in the Carrara import mechanism - it seems to be discarding the smoothing information that is included in the .obj file and cooking up its own smoothing which is inferior. No matter what other program you use you will still need to run it through the importer which then has this problem.

But maybe you can undo the problem if you can find the "smooth" switch referenced in the above thread that enables the original normals to be used...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7389.62 In reply to 7389.61 
Hi Michael
In Daz Studio there is an slider option to modify smoothing and and another button to turn it off. I think that this is what is being discussed and I have tried using it. To my less than educated technical eye what appears to happen when smoothing is disabled is that the model has no smooth edges at all so each polygon can be seen as a flat plane with creases where the edges join adjacent polygons.

I cannot find anything similar in Carrara but that does not mean that it is not there.

>What you really want to have is the "break angle" normals creating mechanism totally turned off and instead the original vertex normals imported from the .obj file to be used instead.<

I will try and learn to understand what you are talking about in this sentence but at the moment lack the technical knowledge. I think if I understand correctly that while DAZ Studio can turn off "break angle" smoothing it does not then use the original vertex normal data. I assume then that both Carrara and Daz Studio will have problems importing an OBJ file created by many modeling programs not just Moi.

The reason that I became interested in the issue is that the shader domains that can be set in Moi are perfectly preserved in Daz studio which would in theory make creating content for Daz studio very quick and efficient in this respect. Its a shame that the smoothing issue seems to prevent this smooth throughput as Moi could be a very useful tool for the people who make models for Daz Studio.

Keith
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7389.63 In reply to 7389.62 
Hi Keith,

> I assume then that both Carrara and Daz Studio will have problems importing an OBJ file created by
> many modeling programs not just Moi.

Yes, that's correct - basically it will be problematic to import OBJ files created by any CAD program. CAD programs need to have the rendering program use the vertex normals information that is stored in the OBJ file. If the importing application just ignores those normals (which come from the original CAD surfaces), and instead creates new normals just by looking at the polygon data alone it will result in shading artifacts.

If all the polygons are very evenly distributed and of almost the same size that also tends to reduce these kinds of artifacts, and since most sub-d models are constructed in that way sub-d models are generally not as impacted by this problem. That is likely why they did not realize they were messing things up when they changed how they deal with vertex normals in the imported files, because they probably only tested it with sub-d models and not any CAD generated models.

If you can find the "Surfaces pane" in Carrara that may be where you can find the control to turn off break-angle normal generation and possibly restore the original normals as described in that Carrara discussion thread.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Ed,

I just read this tutorial. Fantastic work! I'm happy that my scripts helped you :)
I hope, I'll return to script development in the nearest future. Unfortunatelly I haven't free time for it now.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7389.65 In reply to 7389.64 
Thank you Max for bringing this added functionality to MoI. I'm sure your scripts will help a lot of people.

Ed Ferguson
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Help please,
I'm new to scripts and the forum. I downloaded scripts and copied and pasted into MoI's command file.
when I tryed subdivide, got- SyntaxError: Parse error
any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Bob

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7389.67 In reply to 7389.66 
Hi Bob - it looks like you have copied the files into the correct place. But it looks like you may have some problem in how the shortcut key is set up, do you have some extra characters in the shortcut key or something like that?

In the shortcut key, you should put in just: Subdiv_beta6

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That is is curious because all plugins by Max are something like _Subdiv_beta6 with a "_" as first letter!
Have you modified the name of the original script as shown on your list of files ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7389.69 In reply to 7389.67 
Michael

Thank you, I was trying to use the detected buttons, but the shortcut keys work!
This is really a great addition to your program. I have friends that rave about Creo for product design, this seems to give a MoI another level of flexibility in model generation.

Thanks

Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7389.70 In reply to 7389.68 
Pllou

yes I did (my ignorance). Micheal's direction on the shortcut keys got it working.
I'm really excited to try out this new tools!

thanks for your help

bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Absolutely awesome tutorial - thanks so much for this!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank you so much for producing this wonderful tutorial Ed!

Definitely one I'll be putting on the reference shelf - and referring people to as a great example of just how capable MoI (+ Max's SubD) is.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Hamish
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hey man...you did an OUTSTANDING JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never be tired to say that....I love to see this project...in the right hands, this little gem of program can do really amazing things! :)

Great job, and thanks a ton for the tutorial!!!! :)
--------

Arian DESIGN

--------

www.arianshamil.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7389.74 In reply to 7389.2 
When I download the .zip file for the Bridge script I only get 1 file: _sBridge.js. There is no .htm file included. Is there something missing or is the .htm not required for the bridge command.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7389.75 In reply to 7389.74 
No need for the function Bridge : Generaly htm is used for UI, menu, parameter etc...
So make just a short cut or press tab then write _bridge (upper caser letter(s) or not but don't forget the "_") !!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7389.76 In reply to 7389.74 
Hi Wlawton,

> When I download the .zip file for the Bridge script I only get 1 file: _sBridge.js. There is no .htm file
> included. Is there something missing or is the .htm not required for the bridge command.

That's normal that there's no .htm file for that particular command.

The .htm files contain user interface elements for a command like buttons and checkboxes and stuff like that. If the way a command works is that it just immediately performs an action and doesn't have any UI for buttons and options or things like that, then it may not have an .htm file in it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi
I found adding the scripts a bit confusing at first and struggled along installing them piecemeal before discovering there is a link that allows you to install them all complete with a new set of icons in Moi's UI. Oddly nobody ever seems to point this out despite the tools being present in some tutorial videos. I'm off to work now but you should be able to find them on Max's page http://moi.maxsm.net/startpos/8. And looking at this thread I'm missing a few:)http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6507.1
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I gave up on making a car when Carrara kept ripping up the smoothing. I found half an old model today so put some wheels on it and rendered it in Simlab. I like the smooth surfaces but I don't think I will finish the model as I feel like doing something new.

Moi is really amazing!

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Very elegant!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-79