Union Help ...

Next
I got the sections to extrude but now I'm having trouble with the union.
All the points seem to be inline and the section distance (5.80mm) looks to be common.
I think this is a common problem but I don't remember what the fix is.

Thanks.
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 1.1 MB, Downloaded: 24 times, Dimensions: 1920x1080px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7381.2 In reply to 7381.1 
Hi jetblast - it tends to be difficult for the booleans to handle a lot of extremely thin compressed needle-like matchups between pieces, which you have quite a bit of in this case here. Things like this very narrow collapsing area here for example:

That's some just fundamentally difficult stuff for booleans to process, some of those very thin areas will be considered to be overlapping and others will be considered to be distinct and that tends to make it hard to get a clean set of closed intersection curves out of the intersection calculation.

It's better for pieces to be either be more exactly matching up, or to have more distinct clearance between them rather than this type of thing with things coming close to one another but being separated by some very thin amount like that.

What is it that you're trying to get by unioning these together, you may need to use a different strategy and keep them as separate objects rather than trying to combine them, either that or do the opposite type of thing and start with a larger object and then divide up the large object into slices rather than trying to combine very slightly different slices together.

I think the booleans already got confused on some of your prior unions, the larger piece seems to have some messed up trimming boundaries in it, in an area where it looks like some shaded surface is kind of leaking outside the object.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7381.3 In reply to 7381.2 
Hi Michael,
I'm trying a new (to me) method of designing and building a model aircraft. I modeled the fuselage from a sketch and sliced it into sections. I then output the sections to a laser cutter and it cuts the parts out of 6mm depron. I then glue the parts together and sand to the final shape.

I wanted to join all the sections into a solid so that I could run it through a program like SolidWorks to get a weight and center of mass for balancing.

I'll take your advice and try another strategy in creating the solids.

Thanks for your time.

bz

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7381.4 In reply to 7381.3 
Hi bz,

re:
> I wanted to join all the sections into a solid so that I could run it through a program like
> SolidWorks to get a weight and center of mass for balancing.

You might be able to get that same result while just keeping each piece as its own separate solid. At least weight I'd think would be supported in SolidWorks by it adding together the weights of all the separate pieces.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All