inverse boolean wanted

Next
I have a lathed curve and a flat closed path which should cut parts away from the lathed object. but the inverse of what should be cut away is taken. I was able to solve it by using the trim command, but I wonder if this can be done with the booleans?

tnx
wim
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 45.9 KB, Downloaded: 27 times, Dimensions: 489x426px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7359.2 In reply to 7359.1 
Hi,
You can use boolean Isect.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7359.3 In reply to 7359.1 
Hi wim, yup like Finema writes above you can use boolean Intersection (the icon says Isect) to do that.

To use it, select one of the pieces, then run Construct > Boolean > Isect, located here:

Then at the prompt that says "Select second object set", select the other object and right-click or push "Done" to finish selecting. That will then keep the portion contained inside of the 2D profile and throw out the exterior like this:

In this particular case it doesn't really matter but the booleans are kind of oriented around working with solids and not so much with open surfaces, because they figure out which pieces to keep and which to throw away based on which volume they are contained inside of. When there are no solid volumes that becomes ambiguous. In this case it's ok because your 2D profile curve is closed and so forms its own solid volume definition. But in other cases if the boolean does not behave the way you are expecting you may need to solidify the object first before doing the boolean, in this case that would mean selecting it and running Construct > Planar to seal off the ends.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All