object axis?
All  1-5  6-7

Previous
Next
7352.6 In reply to 7352.5 
Hi Pascal, yeah once instancing is in place inside of MoI it will probably make sense to do some new file format support after that to use some formats that handle instancing... alembic could make sense at that time. I'm not really familiar with it myself at all so I don't know what's really involved. I guess Collada is the other one that's meant to be similar is that right?

How is it that alembic is more robust for you than Collada, is it newer and supports more kinds of animation stuff?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
7352.7 In reply to 7352.6 
Hi Michael,

Well the point with alembic is that it's 'just' export a point cache of you animation, meaning that exchanging animation in this format overcome a lots of trouble you usually have with Collada or .fbx. But that's something very specific to poly modeling/animation industry.

Now, I don't know the reason, but it's the first we were able to export data between different software (modo, 3dsmax, realflow, clarisse) without having to care about z-up/y-up problem, wrong normals, lost uv's, broken uv's, bad triangulation, to name a few.

Of course it's jut my limited experience so far, maybe it doesn't work that great for other users ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-5  6-7