MoI and Maxwell.

Next
We all know that Moi -> obj is great but this is my problem
I have MoI and Maxwell in two PCs
PC1 : Everything is working
PC2 : I can't import obj or stl or 3ds from MoI into Maxwell Studio (MXST)
When I make something with PC1 and copy it to PC2 then I can import it in MXST just fine... So, I guess there must be something with MoI in PC2
Both use XP, fully updated because they are connected with DSL so updates are automatic.
I uninstalled and then reinstalled MoI but nothing changed.
I was thinking that maybe it's something with IE7 but I don't see any reason.

Any ideas?

Maybe a miracle from Michael?

***There is always a better way to do things... Just find your Moment of Inspiration***

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
732.2 In reply to 732.1 
Hi JTB - can you describe some more details about what doesn't work on the problem PC?

Like if you draw just a sphere or a box, and then try to do File / Save As to save it as an OBJ file, what happens exactly?

Does the "Save As" file dialog come up and let you choose a file name?

After you hit "Save" there, does the meshing dialog come up with the slider that lets you adjust the mesh density?

If that shows and then you hit OK, is the file not created?

If you can let me know which one of these steps is not working that might help to narrow down the problem.

The IE7 problems are not too frequent, it seems to be some kind of installation error that occasionally happens when IE7 is installed - this can cause a "script error" dialog to pop up with certain commands, are you seeing any kind of error dialog pop up like that?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Everything works fine with obj file creation, it's just that the obj or stl or 3ds files cannot be imported in Maxwell Studio (The standalone app for Maxwell).
The files created from MoI from the other PC, can be imported to Maxwell at the PC with the problems so, this can't be a Maxwell problem. Also, Maxwell was installed before MoI and I can't remember having this problem with the previous beta.

I guess it will be difficult to find it...
OK, in a few words...

Installation of Moi has been done twice.
All options are the same
No problems with Moi Files.
One MoI installation cannot produce files that can be imported in Maxwell.

***There is always a better way to do things... Just find your Moment of Inspiration***

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
732.4 In reply to 732.3 
Hi JTB, hmmmm well that's definitely odd.

Can you please create an example OBJ file from each installation, maybe using the same .3dm file of a simple box?

If you can then zip those up and attach them here, I will take a look at them and see if there are any differences in the OBJ file that could account for one not working.

Also, are you trying to read the OBJ files in from the same folders? Maybe Maxwell is having difficulty reading from one particular folder or something...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I will prepare the files Michael, thanks.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Well, it seems that everything is correct now...
I am not sure why this happened but I can tell you that the only thing that I changed was the grid...
The PC with error obj file had the default grid and units set to meters. I changed it to grid size 0.1, snap 0.05 and accented every 10 lines.
I can't see the reason for this to cause an error, because what was 1m from PC1, was 10m from PC2 (error PC)
I should be able to import 10m boxes to Maxwell, right?
Well, anyway, I am very happy to see that it works so I don't really care what happened.

Thanks for the help

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
732.7 In reply to 732.6 
Hi JTB,

> I should be able to import 10m boxes to Maxwell, right?

Yup, you should... However, OBJ files do not have any type of unit system designator in the file, you just get coordinates directly put into the OBJ file. Like for instance if you have a point at an x,y,z of 10,20,30, it will get exported to OBJ as 10,20,30 regardless of if you have meters as units or millimeters.

Anyway, I'm glad that it seems to be working for you now! If you run into any more problems please let me know.

Thanks,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All