Objects and Styles

Next
Hi,
Is there a video on how to properly organize a job using objects and styles ??
I got started by not using styles (for about a year) and now I'm having a very tough time retraining myself to use styles the way they were meant to be used.

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7300.2 In reply to 7300.1 
Hi jetblast - there is not any one single "right" way to do that type of organization. Different people like to do it in various different ways.

Also the specifics of what you are doing can lend themselves to different kinds of organizations, for example if you are exporting to a rendering program you may want to use Styles since the styles list will become the materials list inside the rendering program. If you're not going to be doing work with render materials then maybe that's not as important to organize things that way.

MoI's organization system tries to be flexible and allow for using it in many different ways, it's not really intended for there to only be one single way and you have to adhere only to that method...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7300.3 In reply to 7300.2 
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the quick reply. My only interest at this point is to design parts for 3D printing and so far the results have been very good. I have taken the time to look at styles and it does seem that there are some benefits to setting up a job that way. I'm glad to hear that there is no set 'procedure' for organizing a job. Maybe for now I'll keep my way and add some of the things I like about styles.

One thing that I like about styles is that you can edit the style location, either up or down.

Would it be possible to add this edit feature to the objects list ?

Thanks again for your reply.

bz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7300.4 In reply to 7300.3 
Hi bz,

> One thing that I like about styles is that you can edit the
> style location, either up or down.
>
> Would it be possible to add this edit feature to the objects list ?

Currently the object list is just sorted alphabetically and so you can control it by prefixing your names with different letters, like for instance putting an A_ at the front of your object name will place it at the top of the list. Or you could prefix it withe numbers, like 01 , 02, 03, etc... that will also place them into that order.

In the future I'd like to see about some different sorting methods as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All