Saving Threads as PDF file?

Next
This seems to be the only forum site where I can not save threads as PDFs. Any explanation please?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.2 In reply to 730.1 
Hi Brian, well the explanation is simple, the guys that wrote this forum software did not include that capability.

I've never actually heard of a forum that has a save as PDF built directly into the forum. I just tried a few random ones and didn't see that option anywhere.... Can you post a link to a forum that does it so I can get an idea of what you're asking about?

One method that you could use is to get one of those PDF printer drivers that let you pick it as a printer and then save a PDF when you print to it, then use the print function in your web browser to create the PDF.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.3 In reply to 730.2 
I've got used to this board - I like how you can just set it to show unread posts but I'm surprised myself that you're not using PHPBB or VBulletin if you prefer a commercial solution - any particular reason?

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.4 In reply to 730.3 
Hi Will, there are a few reasons.

The biggest is I don't like the design of PHPBB or VBulletin - when you go to read a message in those boards, the whole page switches to just the view of that one message thread.

When you're done reading that thread and want to go to some other one, it is rather awkward, you normally have to navigate the whole page back to the "thread view" page.

That's an awful lot of back and forth navigation all the time. It's just not a good idea to put 2 important very frequently used things (thread list and message view) on completely separate isolated pages.

This forum software solves that problem by having different frames - when you're reading messages you have the threads list available in a frame on the left side, and then the right side frame switches to viewing the content of whatever thread you select. This combines 2 very frequently accessed pieces of information on one single page, getting rid of a ton of back and forth navigation.

Since I was planning on spending a lot of time on the forum, I really wanted to get one with a better design like this since it helps with going through and reading stuff quickly.

Another thing is like you mention, this forum tracks your read messages very well so you can really quickly go through and read just the new stuff. Some other forums don't track this and make you always have to scan down to the end of the thread, that's also a big problem.

Another big issue is that especially PHPBB is frequently targeted by spammers who launch automated attacks on any kind of PHPBB board they can find to try and flood it with spam. I'd really rather not spend much time worrying about that junk so that definitely rules out PHPBB. I'm sure there are extensions and ways you can configure it to minimize the risk but it is all a pretty big hassle.

I've been very happy with how this forum has worked, it is pretty simple and easy to use. The only thing that isn't too great is the searching capability, at some point in the future I'd like to tune that up to be a little easier.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.5 In reply to 730.4 
Okay thanks, I was just wondering on your thoughts behind this - I've just never seen this type of board used before.

Actually I believe VBulletin can be switched between a flat and hierarchical view though not quite like this with the frames (I don't think?)

I can appreciate your desire for "intimacy" with your users here - this msgboard does seem to fill that one-on-one kinda feel. I believe that can be achieved similarily with Drupal or blog software but like you've already said, this works nicely for you as is and probably ain't nearly as complex to setup.

Thanks for answering...

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.6 In reply to 730.5 
I've thought a bit about doing a blog, but I think it would have a lot different feel, those are kind of set up for one person to be sort of the primary poster.... A forum is kind of more freeform "anyone can post", kind of more conversational.

VBulletin seems to be ok, if I was forced to pick something different I would probably go for that.

But I really like the separate frame for thread list... :) I think it is kind of odd that other forums don't have it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.7 In reply to 730.6 
Yeah, I purchased a VBulletin license myself but I haven't set it up on my site yet...

I know (with time) you can do mostly whatever you with with the template files but like I had said, I know this looks as if it's giving you what you want right now.

I picked VBulletin cause I like when you log on to the board you can see what theads you have posts in by distinctive icons next to the thread topics - not too many of the free msgboard have that as a standard feature.

I also haven't see to much spam in VB sites - the registration features are pretty powerful when used properly.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael I though it was normal on ALL forum sites?
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.9 In reply to 730.8 
Hi Brian, I see now - that appears to be a kind of toolbar extension to your web browser. The extension is doing the save to PDF, an individual forum doesn't really control that.

That extension must not support a particular kind of page called a "frameset" or multi-frame page like this forum happens to use. The other forums that you are going to are probably not using multiple frames, that's why it works with other forums.

You might check in that toolbar extension to see if there are any options for multiple frame handling that you could enable.

Otherwise, it is possible to view the contents of a thread in a single page (without frames) by using this method: Find thread you want to save to PDF in the left-side pane and then do a right-click on it with your mouse. On the menu that pops up, choose "Copy shortcut". Now go click in the address bar at the top of the screen (where it shows the current web address like http://moi3d.com), and then push ctrl+V to paste the address for that that thread there, and then push enter.

After you do that, the contents of that thread should be showing all by themselves on a single page - your PDF generator will probably work properly on it at this point.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.10 In reply to 730.9 
maybe a little more easy :)
Mouse Right/Click on the left menu the thread whished "Open in a new window" :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.11 In reply to 730.10 
YES! Great simple alternative Pilou. Thanks all for the help.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
If you want open it in a new tab and you are using firefox, just press the middle wheel on the thread....
Easiest!! :-)
Bye!
David
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
730.13 In reply to 730.12 
< just press the middle wheel on the thread...
...and click on this new it on the top page for see it! :)
= 2 clicks :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
mmmmmmmhhh....
you are right!!
:-P

Bye!
David
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,

i would prefer the typical standard forum. I like to have it a bit more organized then in the MoI beehive. :)

Do you tried the FUD Forum http://fudforum.org ? It has some nice features like a buddy system, post tracking, sending notification via ICQ/eMail, creating of PDF, RSS feed, etc. and it's Open-Source.

MfG
sk2k
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
730.16 In reply to 730.15 
Hi Tony,

> Do you tried the FUD Forum http://fudforum.org ?

I hadn't seen that one before. It looks interesting, but at first glance it seems to have the same problem common to many forums - the list of threads is on one single page all by itself instead of being in a separate frame to the left, so frequent navigation back to the thread page is required.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All