Modeling Challenge
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
7292.2 In reply to 7292.1 
Hi libelle - something like that is most likely easier done in a subdivision polygon modeler rather than in a CAD program like MoI.

Usually things that have branching structures and are all smooth at junctures tends to be easier to do in sub-d. The sub-d mechanism basically automatically melts down all the junctures on such things.

It tends to be difficult to get blend to work well on that type of structure where the tubes are both the same size, Blend will work better when it's a smaller tube connecting to a larger broader body shape rather than same size between parts.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7292.3 In reply to 7292.1 
Hi libelle, also if you'd like the try the sub-d modeling approach but within MoI, it's possible to do that using Max Smirnov's plugin which you can get from here:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6674.203

Then you construct an initially blocky object made up of all planar quad faces in it, then run Max's sub-d smoothing command on it and you will get a melted down smoothed result, see the attached file where I've done it that way.

Branching structures in particular tend to be easier to do in sub-d modeling.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7292.4 In reply to 7292.1 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Michael and BurrMan!

I considered modeling in another program and importing, but I just wanted to see if anyone had an approach. I've only been using MoI for about four months, so I'm still learning its capabilities. And I'm always impressed with the resourcefulness of the people in this forum!

BurrMan, thanks for the tutorial. I really appreciate the video - I'm not sure I would have been able to follow if you had written a text description, but your demonstration made it quite clear.

I appreciate the help!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7292.6 In reply to 7292.5 
I would suggest searching for something like "solidifying wireframe" or "wireframe thickening" and (also) having a look at the result's images.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6