MoI suitable for vehicle designs? Closed
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-139

Previous
Next
7275.61 In reply to 7275.60 
Thanks for the video Andrei. I've always wanted to model a car - now I have the tools to attempt it. But it will have to be a car of my own design, so no one can say it doesn't look like a Porsche :)

After forming the body in NVil I'll use MoI for the wheels, lights, trim pieces, ect.

In MoI, I should be able to project curves onto the body and make NURBs headlight lenses for example. Not sure which smaller components are best to make in sub-D and which are best for MoI.

Ed Ferguson
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7275.62 In reply to 7275.61 
And this one :)
For those who like to make details in MoI.

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hey blindfoldjump,

I found a tutorial for creating a dune buggy in formZ that I thought you might find interesting:

ftp://ftp.formz.com/pub/formz/PDF_files/tutorials/version_8/dune_buggy.pdf

These are pretty cool too:

ftp://ftp.formz.com/pub/formz/PDF_files/tutorials/version_8/bicycle_wheel.pdf

ftp://ftp.formz.com/pub/formz/PDF_files/tutorials/version_8/shells.pdf

BTW what did you think of the videos?
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7275.64 In reply to 7275.63 
Thanks Robert!

"BTW what did you think of the videos?"

Well so far everything seems great about FormZ. Im currently taking a break from my vehicle designs, working on some real-life projects to pay the bills :)
When I get back I will purchase MoI (my trial finished a couple of weeks back) also I will take a decision on what other software to purchase, FormZ is certainly on top of the list, the videos youve provided are helping a ton.

I will start posting on this forum when my designs are getting somewhere, showing the progress and also asking about the problems I will (most certainly) run into :)
Thanks again Robert!

Best
Niklas
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Niklas,

I've had FormZ for a couple of years now. I purchased it because I couldn't get SketchUp to easily create watertight models for my 3D printer. FormZ, like MoI is a solids modeler and it's a big difference.

I ended up taking a hard look at MoI just a few months ago based on another user who's work I admire.

While I agree about much that has been said regarding MoI not being able to be a full auto modeling package, I have to say, it does pretty well.

Here's a render of a model I completed in a few days, which is going into a video and magazine on future transportation. It's the first time I had to really push MoI to get it to do some things, but for the very most part, I'm happy.

I tried creating the canopy/body in a SubD program, but it looked to 'soft', then I tried in SketchUp and no matter what I did I couldn't get it right. So I created all of the compound surfaces, top, sides, left, right, and bottom, and then trimmed them with each other. And then I used the blend tool to connect everything up. Worked out pretty good.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7275.66 In reply to 7275.65 
chippwalters, "I tried creating the canopy/body in a SubD program, but it looked to 'soft', then I tried in SketchUp and no matter what I did I couldn't get it right."
Looks like you just jumping from one app to another trying to compensate your lack of skills. And the reason is not because apps is not good but looks like your skills are not enough. That stuff could be made and with subD(very easy) and with sketchUP(harder).

Russian community of MOI 3D: www.vk.com/moi3d
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
WTF, Andrei, show some respect, please.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7275.68 In reply to 7275.67 
Guilherme,
What we are doing here? Give compliments to each over? Or talking about things?

Man said he can not do it in SubD and Sketch UP, but in MoI he could. So what it is? Nothing then lack of skills. And so I have to say, something like -
OH... MoI is great, briliant software that is allow us to make things that is impossible to make in SubD or Sketch UP? This is I have to say?

Here a lot of people even have no enough skills to discus this or that software, but they know fore sure what is good and what is bad.
So better than jumping from one package to another try to polish your skills in something one. And do not make dilettantish statements like in SubD something looks - Soft.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Wow, Andrei; bad day?
You are a brilliant modeler; and I can imagine a time not long ago - before Nvil - that you would have happily showed us how to model something like that using your loft method, some blends, and a flow or two.
People experiment in this field and everyone finds something that fits them. I think Chip was just celebrating a success with MoI. Nothing wrong with that.
And Max's subD scripts are a welcome addition. Nothing wrong with that either.
Model on, dude!
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello Guilherme,

Considering the source of a critique is usually more important than the critique itself. Andrei pushes polys around making fantasy objects, he's not a designer. Andrei doesn't even understand basic concepts like continuity, put in that context does it really matter what he says about another individuals skill set? It's like hearing a drunk guy at the ball game cussing everyone out, does anyone really take what he's saying about their mothers seriously? :)
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ronamodeler,
Not a bad day just said what I thought. Some times here people say nothing useful but stay polite. For Cheap would be better to learn one of that software instead of use a lot of them without knowing them and made superficial judgment. I was not going to abuse him just said what I thought.

OSTexo I'm not designer? But who I am? This is may day work. You know who are designer?

May be you think that designer is guy that is know all technical nuances in nurbs modelling?
I know a lot of Real Designers who use 3D very rare, they instead draw by hands but they design real things for product design, or they are not designers? they do not use continuity concept :D.
I even do not talking about Concept Art because looks like for you it is not a design just some child fantasy. But you know that practically all Concept Artists draw by hands? Ah... forget they are not designers, they do not know about continuity :D

OSTexo I remember when you talk with some guy here that modeled car and you said that design was cool and after that you are consider your self as designer? That car was cheap second hand from Lamborghini, any car designer will notice it. Pleas do not confuse people Designer and 3D modeler is not the same thing. You can be perfect 3D Modeler but awful Designer and vice versa. Any time you want to catch me it looks like cheap attempt, do not waist your time.

EDITED: 1 Apr 2015 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello OSTexo,

Usualy this is a friendly forum, but from time to time, Andrei's posts sound - to me - very harsh, maybe its me as English is not my primary language, as also is Andrei, so i keep ignoring.

Hello Andrei,

Will you like if someones says something like that about your work? Will it help improving your work? Don't think so. If you don't agreed with something you could ignore, and move on.

Actualy i really like Chipp's work, and i'm glad he belong to Moi community.

So, its up to Michael to keep this forum a healthy place.

Peace.

Carlos
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7275.73 In reply to 7275.72 
Hi Guilherme,
I accept any constructive critics. What is wrong with this? I learn from critics a lot.

I did not say that Cheap work is bad, where I said it?
Instead it looks like very nice Concept!
I talked about the other things. I talked about skills and workflows.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Andrei,

Thanks for agreeing with my post, you keep strengthening my point better that I ever could. :D

Guilherme,

Andrei is uncouth more often than not, but he's typically also misinformed and illiterate on the design subject being discussed, so how upset can you really be? Anyone who has a shred of design experience knows this, but his comments certainly shouldn't be upsetting to someone who has bothered to put in the work to learn and refine their design process. I doubt any designer (or developer, modeler, hobbyist, etc. for that matter) is losing sleep over what Andrei thinks of their capabilities and skill set.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7275.75 In reply to 7275.74 
Hi Andrei, this thread is another one where it is on the verge of devolving into a flame war because of the harshness of your comments.

I don't want to have long drawn out back and forth arguments on the forum here, usually when that kind of thing begins to happen I lock the thread to end the back and forth argument cycle, but in these cases these are some pretty useful threads and so it would be a shame to do that.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Andrei,

First off, thanks for your videos. They've been very helpful in learning how to use MoI.
FWIW, my name is Chipp, not Cheap. Cheap has a negative connotation in English. I know that wasn't your intention as ad hominem attacks really have no place on this, or any other forum.

Your cursory observation actually does have a bit of truth to it. I am not an expert modeler in any one single package. You can find plenty of better Industrial Designers who are better modelers and renderers for sure!

I feel that I could model this form easily *AFTER it is now designed* using Lightwave Modeler. I've been using it since version 4 (shows how much gray hair I have!) and am decent with SubDs. As you know, there is a huge amount of technical expertise which goes into proper SubD modeling. Building the correct cage with the correct Polyflow can be difficult and time consuming-- especially if you're trying to 'fake boolean' parts after creating a surface. But I digress.

I also know a bit about SubDs in SketchUp. I beta-tested Artisan (Dale Marten's Sketchup SubD tool, and even did the Artisan Lightcycle tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3W23-5dgI).

The key part for me in this exercise was to be able to 'find' the correct shape. While SubD's certainly can CREATE this shape-- and I did use them to initially do so:

The shape just wasn't crisp enough for me. I know it's a subtle difference from the final MoI model, but it was important. Sometimes I can tell when a design *originated* from SubD vs Splines. Something about the lack of crsipness..

The designs on this page have a different 'feel' from the work I'm now doing in MoI.

In particular, the ability for me to be able to create a few intersecting surfaces, then play with them accurately to define the broad design elements and curvature, was what I wanted to be able to do. As you know, it's difficult to do that in classic SubD applications. I know you can drag around a bunch of points, but it's very hard adjusting a long surface curve *in the middle* of the curve– as you can do in MoI.

Certainly MoI isn't the very best piece of software for this sort of thing, it's just that it's easy for me to jump in and out of. My career is not only about 3D modeling. Sometimes I'm asked to program. Or build a website (I built Artisan's ). I've also served in several executive management positions, which means I can literally go months at a time before jumping 'back' into a 3D job. It is because of the superior ease-of-use and learning (***and RE-LEARING for old folks like me!***) which draws me to Michael's amazing program.

Here's what I finally delivered to the customer. It's not a complete design, but useful for discussion. The original design was created in SketchUp for roughing out the idea for review by the client, which was done in 1.5 days. Then it was refined, built and rendered in MoI in 3 days, including input from the client at every step of the way. For me, that's a pretty good pace.

One big reason I use SketchUp at first is because it's camera integrates well with KeyShot (and thanks to Frenchy, also Visualizer!), and I can use SketchUp's *linework* to indicate form over a finished render. I wish someone could figure out how to camera match MoI and KeyShot, then I could use MoI from the get go!.

FWIW, Client loved it. A few of the renders:

EDITED: 1 Apr 2015 by CHIPPWALTERS

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
<< I also know a bit about SubDs in SketchUp. I beta-tested Artisan (Dale Marten's Sketchup SubD tool)

Funny I have made the French Artisan Version and Manual for Dale! ;)
A very tricky plugin! http://moiscript.weebly.com/artisan-le-manuel.html

Your video remember me a French Company Villac who made some wood toys very famous in the world!
http://www.vilac.com/voitures/petites-voitures-en-bois.html

And of course I want this one! ;)

PS How stay in equilibrium the red Mono "2 align wheels" model at stop?

EDITED: 1 Apr 2015 by PILOU

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7275.78 In reply to 7275.77 
Thanks Frenchy!

My client has this idea for a car that splits in two. He is filming a documentary on car design and wants to show this concept. I'm no huge fan of the idea, and as a designer can certainly find implementation issues going forward. Still, the idea is to create something which sparks the interest, much like the Ambulance Drone.

If you notice, the back and front wheels are 'tiltable' with the front one being able to 'split' depending on whether in Bi-mode or Quad-mode. One idea has a gyro stabilization which can adjust the wheels to provide balance, much like Segway. Another idea could be some sort of 'training wheels' which deploy below and to the side of the vehicle when at a standstill or going too slow to be stable. Sure, there are problems with all of this, but the keen point is to create a concept which inspires folks to think.

Pardon the side trip, and not saying you are being critical, but the tendency to overthink technology with regard to implementation issues can sometimes get in the way of functional brainstorming. Case in point, I've been asked to help facilitate the upcoming DARPA Neural Engineering Bootcamp with the goal of taking a futurist look at what's possible in the next 5, 10 and 15 years. One of the conference attendees wants to start off with a regulatory workshop, to *make sure* what we think of can realistically be done. I'm not sure this is valuable, as we don't want to put too many constraints on what's possible, and instead put constraints on the problem area(s) we're trying to ideate on-- especially with regard to current policy.

Much of what I do conceptually focuses on what's possible, not what is currently doable. :-) MoI lets me do this in a way that allows people to *suspend disbelief* for a tiny moment.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Chipp,
Love the final result, and the renders are awesome!
I have a slightly older version of SketchUp, but never really use it. In your opinion, is it worth learning just for the possible illustrations? I'm thinking that Toons in KeyShot might do the same with some practice?
Thanks for sharing.
Ron
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7275.80 In reply to 7275.79 
Very nice work Chipp. Thanks for sharing the rationale behind your modeling decisions.

Ed Ferguson
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-139