Offset problems on voronoi pattern with MOI3D v3
All  1  2-11

Previous
Next
Sorry not an automatic process from my part! :)

Use Draw Curves / More / Conic on the middle of sides and vertex
For a triangle 3 times
For a quad 4 times etc...

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7222.3 In reply to 7222.2 
Thanks Pilou for your help,

I have read the original post from 2007 on MOI forum, people said to use offset curves to automatically create the cells from the Voronoi diagram. The problem with your actual process is it won't be possible to print the produced object because there is no thickness beetween the triangle and the conic form...

Pierre
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7222.4 In reply to 7222.3 
Just "Offset in" the conics curves! ;)
Alas again one by one!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7222.5 In reply to 7222.4 
Hi,

the way Pilou shows in his picture is wrong… You have to use a Control Point Spline and click in each corner of each cell. Once you have a closed line you have to offset it then to archive the desired result.

Regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7222.6 In reply to 7222.1 
Hi Pierro - offset does a join step to glue segments together, but curve joining in Moi is meant to form a single directional path, not one that has internal branches in it. So joining in MoI is meant to join curve arrangements where there are only 2 segments that come out from any single point. Your structure has many junctures where there are numerous lines radiating out from a shared endpoint. When the joiner processes that big bunch of branching connections, it's going to end up with a fairly random join that makes an open curve that wanders all over the place.

If you select just the boundary of one cell at a time and then do offset you should then get better behavior, that will join into a proper closed curve which will then offset for you better.

Start by selecting the boundaries of one single cell, then run Offset, set the distance based mode, put in your distance and then click in the center of the cell to complete the offset towards the inside, and then click once in empty space to clear the selection, then click on the boundaries for another cell, right-click to repeat the offset command, click inside the cell to complete the offset, and then repeat until you have finished all cells.

The other way that this could work as a single batch operation would be if all the cells were prepared as closed curves that overlapped sides with one another rather than single lines forming a branching structure.

Then once you have the cells offset, like Stefan writes above to form the curved interior cells run Draw curve > Freeform > Control points and snap one control point onto the corner point of each offset shrunken cell.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7222.7 In reply to 7222.6 
Support here is far better than what can be found in much bigger companies with softwares costing 10 times more...

Thanks very much for your support, I will try this tomorrow !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7222.8 In reply to 7222.5 
<< is wrong...

I don't know, less easy surely! :)

here for remplace the Offset maybe the Edit Frame can also works?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Pilou,

load for example Torolf's image into MoI, which Pierre has posted, and redraw some cells with polylines. Then use your method were you showed to click on point 1 and 2. You will see that the closed line will not match. Now do the same with clicking in each corner of a cell and you will have the same closed line(s) as Torolf shows. :-)

BTW. i overlaid your right example with the left example in Photoshop and there is also a difference... :-)

Best regards
Stefan

EDITED: 4 Feb 2015 by STEFAN

Image Attachments:
Size: 80.3 KB, Downloaded: 13 times, Dimensions: 520x216px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7222.10 In reply to 7222.9 
Yep you right, there is a very little difference for the triangle!
And if you have more than 3 vertex the method of conics seems out the subject! :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7222.11 In reply to 7222.10 
Hello,

maybe it is possible to split or trim a backround face by the structure. Then select the edges of each patch (maybe script?) and join them. After that you can reconstruct the edgeloop by controlpoints (reconstruct script). The facepatch schould have a centerpoint which can be selected for scaling. Sorry, but I don't have moi at the Moment, to test it. So it's only an idea.

Kind regards
Karsten
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-11