My turn for a weird boolean

Next
Even after years of booleaning, I can still get stumped. Why isn't this fellow feeling very happy?

I'm going to do some surface trimming and joining to get them together, but it's going to become part of a much larger assembly, and I'm concerned there's some underlying weirdness that might cause trouble when I hours into further booleaning.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7210.2 In reply to 7210.1 
Hi Yenmonger, that one is pretty weird. Seems to be some difficulty in processing the vertical edge of the wedge, it would unfortunately take a lot of detailed effort to figure out exactly what is going wrong.

The pieces seem to be just a teeny tiny amount out of alignment, like on the order of 0.0000064 units away from each other. Something in the processing of this particular boolean is sensitive to that I guess though, because if I move the wedge away and then back again it seems to be ok, see attached file.

I don't see anything wrong with your geometry, it seems to be a case of edge merging getting confused with this particular case and this particular distance between the edges or something along those lines.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks for looking. I'll remember the move-back-and-forth trick for a future effort. In the meantime I just hacked up the surfaces and joined the pieces together. It was thankfully simple, all planes and such.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All