AI Export Problem Mac 3.0-Bug report?
All  1-9  10-11

Previous
Next
7209.10 In reply to 7209.8 
Hi scott - just one more note on this, you wrote:

> I would expect doc size to be adjusted to be a bounding box of the objects and also
> to be translated to 0,0 relative to the document.

As far as I have been able to tell, PDF is kind of intended for the document size to be one of the standard physical printed paper sizes.

So because of that, the MoI PDF output does not try to set some custom page size that would have no relation to standard print sizes, it just makes the page size to be the 8.5 x 11 inch letter page size.

In the future I think I'd like to have some options to control that, maybe just with some different standard page sizes listed but for now it's just fixed at a 8.5 x 11 inch page size.

Then the way you can control it currently is if you want the output to fit entirely within that page, you can use that "Scale: Fit to page" option to make that happen.

If you care more about preserving specific unit sizes of your objects, then you would use the "Scale: Preserve units" option (which must be what you are using currently), which will still have the same page size but the output will be focused then on only doing some minimal processing of the curves so they remain as much as possible at the same coordinate locations and coordinate sizes as they were in MoI - this will often result in them being located somewhere off the page or sticking out past the page or things like that, unless you have controlled their placement within MoI to correspond to what you need. For "Scale: Preserve units" mode it can help if you make a rectangle object that will map from 0,0 to 8.5,11 inches in converted units so you know where you should put your objects so they will land on the output page.

But again if you just want things to fit inside the output page and you don't need to preserve some specific unit sizes, just set "Scale: Fit to page" and you will not need to worry about that type of stuff after that, at least that's what is intended.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
7209.11 In reply to 7209.10 
Thanks Michael. Indeed I can open them in Inkscape, change the document size and then output them again as PDF before I pass it on. You're right that PDF assumes some sort of a physical paper size but it can be any size up to 38,100,000 cm^2 (if the library supports custom paper size). I would like someday some choice in paper size (or at the very least landscape vs portrait would help in some cases). It would be also nice to translate to document origin + margin without scaling, again this is mostly for communicating to someone. If I'm going to use them for cutting, I don't mind a step through another program.

Scott
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-9  10-11