Slide along path curve

Next
Hi Michael,

I know you do array along path curve but would it be possible to do slide along path curve ? What I mean is to to put an object (for instance a setting cutter) on a curve that has been projected onto a surface and then slide copies of it along the curve, pulling them out one after the other, so that they could be spaced unevenly as you choose along the curve , but still with the freeform arrangement that array gives you .

Kind of like a sliding snap but still with alignment staying the same relative to the surface.

I don't know if I am asking the impossible , but if MOI can do freeform array along a curve so easily I thought maybe it could do more:)

regards Tim.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
720.2 In reply to 720.1 
Hi Tim, it's definitely possible but I'm afraid I won't be able to squeeze this one into the initial version 1.0 .

I am planning on doing a batch of additional alignment / orientation type tools in the future and this one would fit in well with that batch of stuff.

One thing you can do right now is use the Array along curve with a pretty high item count, like 100 or 200 items. Then select some of the ones you want to keep, hit Ctrl+C or Edit/Copy to copy those to the clipboard, then undo the array, then Paste.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
720.3 In reply to 720.2 
Thanks Michael,

I wasn't expecting it for 1.0 , I just thought it was a useful tool.

Agood workaround though, I still don't use copy and paste to their full advantage

Tim.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
720.4 In reply to 720.3 
Hi Tim, yeah sometimes there are some good tricks that you can leverage by using undo in combination with Copy/Paste that are not too immediately apparent.

The other good one is to use it to kind of "resurrect" an older version of something.

To do this, undo back to the version you want to resurrect, and select it and do a copy. Be careful at this point not to do any kind of operation that actually changes geometry because that will clear the redo stack. Then redo all the way back to the end, and then hit paste. That will essentially insert the older object into your current model.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All