SketchUp to MoI workflow?
All  1-12  13-16

Previous
Next
7199.13 In reply to 7199.12 
Article is up at:
http://www.fastcodesign.com/3041696/this-drone-ambulance-is-totally-wild-and-totally-inevitable

Compositing could be better, was done very last sec (in fact all three done last night after midnight and before sunrise).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7199.14 In reply to 7199.13 
Cool article Chipp!!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7199.15 In reply to 7199.14 
Thanks Michael. Frankly, I wasn't sure if MoI was up to the task of speed modeling the vehicle. I may have been more mentally at home in Lightwave, where I can find kit bash items if necessary. But Modeler doesn't have the super accurate workflow and strong Boolean and filleting commands MoI has.

FWIW, I've not had good luck doing this sort of hi Rez photo modeling in SketchUp-- just too many things can go wrong and unlike LightWave, it's difficult to hand stitch vertices in the rare case they need help. Plus the SubD plugin, while an amazing feat of programming in Ruby, doesn't have the full features of native SubD implementations of other poly apps.

Time and again I was super thankful for the obvious attention you've paid to this interface, where I would 'discover' a way of solving problems intuitively. The coolest part is, the drone is pretty much buildable at scale on my 3D printer-- I believe it's that accurate. Composed of *mostly* solids (had to separate some solids to surfaces for decaling and material application in Keyshot), the hinge mechanisms and pivots were all worked out pretty much.

All in all a success. I believe I pushed some of the bounds of MoI- 50 or so named objects each with numbers of solids, surfaces and curves. Final export was in the millions of polys in obj format. Imported and rendered beautifully in Keyshot. Though the incremental saves eventually became quite large, MoI didn't hang on me once. Surprised at how robust the Wine implementation is not to mention your fine programming.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
At the first view I had believed that was a crash between a car and a drone! :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-12  13-16