Feature Request - Boolean intersection fillets/Chamfers

Next
Michael,

Would it be possible to add an option to fillet intersections of boolean objects? This would save a lot of time by not having to go back in and manually fillet the edges after a union or subtraction.

I also wanted you to know that I am a new Moi user, and I am really loving the freedom that your software gives.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7184.2 In reply to 7184.1 
Hi talleman, I'm glad that you are liking MoI!

re: option to fillet intersections of booleans - the problem with that is that fillet is itself a fairly complicated command with a lot of different options in it. Trying to combine commands that have lots of options in them individually can be difficult because of the huge mass of options that would result in the combined state.

That's why it can often times not be feasible to combine too much stuff happening all just in one single command, in order to keep each command reasonably easy to use it is intended that you often times will work with several commands in sequence to one another rather than just everything in one single command.

But one thing that helps commands work in sequence with one another is to have a good selection setup for running the next command. So maybe a good compromise would be an option to have the new edges that were created during the boolean operation at intersection areas to be selected when the boolean command is completed. That would then make it a lot easier to run fillet right after the boolean and not need to do any additional selection step in between and it's really the selection step that is the most complicated.

If you can remind me about this when the v4 betas are underway I can look into adding in something for that at that time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7184.3 In reply to 7184.2 
Michael,

Thanks for the response. That makes perfect since. The suggestion of selecting the intersection edges after the operation is actually even better. This would allow for the undo of just the fillet, instead of having to undo the boolean and the fillet at the same time.

-Thomas
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All