How to fix?

Next
I have an object which has an object which is a round rect and it has a surface and face each of which is differently named. How to consolidate both to the same name?
Weird... see file below
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7179.2 In reply to 7179.1 
"""""""""How to consolidate both to the same name?"""""""""""

Give both the same name? As it is now, they both have different names.... You can remove the face name by editing the name and making it blank, which will return it to the unnamed category.

You can make it easy by using the "objects" part of the scene browser to select which object you want to work on...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7179.3 In reply to 7179.2 
Editing the name and making it blank was the right way to go. Kind of a brain fart I suppose. I was just surprised the same thing ended up with different object names...
ADDED:
SEE BELOW post for same problem w/out easy solution which I can figure out...

EDITED: 14 Jan 2015 by CHIPPWALTERS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7179.4 In reply to 7179.3 
Still problems. When I try and *select* this object from the Object browser, it won't select the whole object. It's the same problem as before. Any idea why?
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7179.5 In reply to 7179.4 

EDITED: 14 Jan 2015 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7179.6 In reply to 7179.4 
Hi Chipp,

> Still problems. When I try and *select* this object from the Object browser, it won't select
> the whole object. It's the same problem as before. Any idea why?

I believe it's because the name is assigned to the face sub-object rather than the "brep object" which is the real parent object.

A surface in MoI uses the same kind of container object as a solid, meaning it's set up to hold numerous faces in it, but it just happens to have only one face. There is some attempt in the selection engine to avoid doing a "drill in" selection to the face sub-object one single-face breps like you have here and I guess that's what is leading to the discrepancy between what some different parts of the UI show in this case.

How did you end up with this named object originally, was it a named sub-object in some larger joined object that was then extracted?

EDIT: ok on closer inspection I think the problem is that the same name is basically on this object twice - once on the parent brep object and then duplicated again on the face sub-object... to clear out from this situation select the surface by clicking on it and assign a blank name - that will clear the parent name. After that you will see the name still listed in the scene browser, which is now for the face sub-object. Select it using the scene browser (you'll now see the selected object type listed as a "face" rather than "surface") and then clear that name as well and then you will have a totally blank state at that point.

The reason why the scene browser initially shows only a half selection for the name is that it is seeing only the top level parent object as being selected, the face sub-object which additionally has the same name assigned to it does not have sub-object selection and so that's what makes it show as only some of the entities of that name being currently selected.

I guess this is a case where having the ability to have properties assigned to both a parent object and sub-objects separately can lead to some confusing situations.

I'm not really sure what to do about it. Maybe when you blank the name of a top level object I should go through and look at sub-objects and blank out any that also ended up somehow with the same name on them... I'm not sure though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7179.7 In reply to 7179.4 
It's because you still have "2 objects" defined with the same name.. So you have the surface there defined, but you also have a "face selection" defined with the same name. That equals 2.

If you go to the types browser and click the selection icon for faces, then you can unname or rename that face...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks everyone. Glad there's a fix. It was a STEP file I was given which was exported from Solidworks. I tried renaming 'parts' of already named objects and got the problem. The fix is the key. Thanks!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All