Looking for a tutorial on running MoI throgh wine etc

Next
Do you know of any step by step tutorials on running MoI on Linux through Wine? I've seen a couple of topics where people reported they made it . I'm totally new to this software compatibility package , but would love to give it a try. I've recently moved most of my workflow to Linux (Fedora 21 and eOS - both proved super fun to use) - but I really miss a nurbs modeling package. If MoI could fill this gap that would be awesome.
I can understand no native support at this point, but I don't care whether it is through compatibility layer or not - as long as it works :) .
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.2 In reply to 7175.1 
Hi Przemas, for Linux there is usually a package manager that you use to install Wine. The package manager is usually quite prominent in the main UI, look for something that says "Package manager" or "Install software" or something similar, then run that and inside that there should be a search mechanism and put in Wine in the search box to find it and it will install wine for you.

Once you have installed wine, you can then download the MoI windows version installer and run it from the command line by putting in: wine moi_v3_setup.exe

In order to run windows programs with wine, from the command line you actually run the wine program (so put that first), and pass wine the name of the windows program for it to run.

Once the MoI setup has run there will probably be a shortcut listed on a wine menu for running it.

It's best to do this with MoI v3 which does not need any other kinds of configurations done with it in order to run under Wine. Older versions of Wine need additional things set up like installing Internet Explorer using the "winetricks" program.

Wine is kind of constantly changing and frequently there are small glitches introduced in it, it's not unusual to have some kind of cosmetic font problems for example. Hopefully in the most recent version of Wine some of those may have been tuned up again. If not you may need to run an older version of Wine instead of the most recent version. That's a lot more complex to set up, it involves downloading the Wine source and building it yourself, see here for links on information on that:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6875.61

The biggest problem with getting things set up is to make sure you've got a good quality video driver. Bad video drivers are very common on Linux, especially for certain types of cards such as ATI/AMD cards. This is probably the biggest weakness of running Linux - if you just try to run it on any random system there is a fair chance that you won't have a good video driver and things related to 3D graphics will not work properly. It can help to do some research and get a video card that you find has been specifically recommended by other Linux users as having a good quality and stable driver. That's a pretty key thing to end up with a stable Linux system.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
One comment I'd like to add. When I was using the latest stable release of Wine (1.6.x), I found that there were minor font problems with the UI, as Michael mentioned, though the actual operations and display of the model were fine. I installed version 1.4.1 to fix this. By far the easiest way to install an older version of Wine is to use PlayOnLinux, which is basically a front-end for Wine. In fact, PlayOnLinux lets you install different versions of Wine side-by-side. I simply installed MoI and Wine 1.4.1 through PlayOnLinux and then set the Wine version to 1.4.1 for MoI.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@Thank you Michael, thank you Dan - you surely encouraged me to try. I really thought it is something way more complex.
I have my fingers crossed - that would mean there's only one thing left that will make me boot Win rarely (but to be clear - I don't have any really hard feelings towards Win, I simply found some of the Linux distros more enjoyable to work with).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.5 In reply to 7175.4 
Dan's tip for using PlayOnLinux will greatly simplfy things for running the older 1.4.1 Wine release if you see any problems with the current Wine version. Thanks for posting that Dan!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.6 In reply to 7175.5 
Hello,

I use moi with a Wacom tablet on a Linux laptop running Ubuntu 14.04 and as far as I can tell (i'm a moi newbie) it works pretty much flawlessly apart from the fact that it can be a little sluggish sometimes but that's true also for other programs that use wine. The laptop is no speed demon so I am not surprised. Put it this way, I haven't yet discovered anything in moi that doesn't work as expected and it looks great with no problem with fonts or the drawing. I use the latest version of wine from winehq. Most linux systems come with old versions of wine (well, Ubuntu certainly does) so it's probably worth installing something more recent.

Cheers,

Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.7 In reply to 7175.6 
Hey Mark,

Just curious. When you say the latest release from winehq, do you mean the latest stable release (1.6.2) or the latest development release (1.7.34)? The former is the one that's included in the standard repositories for Ubuntu/Mint and had the font problems for me. I haven't tried the development release.

Dan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.8 In reply to 7175.7 
Hi Dan,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am using the development release.

Regarding the UI text, it did look weird until I adjusted the font size. I am using a value of 10 now and the UI text is all looking good.

Cheers,

Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.9 In reply to 7175.8 
Thanks for the info Mark - that's great news that the garbled font issue is solved in 1.7.x ! That will make things a bit easier when that rolls out to be the stable version.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.10 In reply to 7175.6 
This week I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my Windows7 PC, on a Samsung SSD EVO, 250GB drive, booted to by changing bios boot device, for hard disk recovery to be attempted. Wine has not been tried yet.

Windows 7 is on a Samsung SSD PRO, 256GB drive, for fast booting and program loading. The free version of Acronis True Image 2013, from Western Digital, makes clone hard drives of the SSD, or vice versa, for backups, which boot up Windows and a bunch of other programs, including Moi. There is a (fixable) problem with QuickBooks failing to load from a cloned drive...

(This post is not too much about Moi...)

- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Testing MoI through wine (playonlinux) now - amost success :) . Thank you!
The app starts and the main fuctions work correctly. It is not very smooth but that is to be expected.
But I came across a small , but annoying bug. Will try to explain it - it is like there's a delay in the screen drawing. For example when I hover to select something the items do not get highlighted. It gets highlighted when I do something next - even move the cursor slightly.
The same goes for most of the things. FOr example I draw a selection box on an empty space - it should disapear (as no selection is made) as soon as I release it. BUt it does not - it disapears when I move/pan the screen. ANy ideas how can I get rid of the problem?

Other than that I get a feeling it could work . I made a simple extrusion and then exported to obj that I then opened in Modo - I knew that MoI produces really nice meshes (and recommended it a couple of times), but I still have been surprised how nice it is :) .
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.12 In reply to 7175.11 
Hi,

I don't get those "delayed action" effects that you describe. I do get some delay when zooming in and out (using two fingers on the touchpad ) and also when "picking up" a point to move it but, otherwise, it's working pretty well.

Zooming is definitely "lumpy" when using the touch pad (aka mouse wheel) zoom and I think this is something to do with X windows rather than Wine because if I zoom using the moi zoom tool then it's smooth and responsive.

I am using wine 1.7.33 on a Ubuntu 14.04.1 laptop with Intel graphics (not so hot?)

Cheers,

Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
will try other wine versions as changing the card ( i have laptop with nvidia optimus tech - I have intel hd4000 and gtx660m) does not havy any impact.
Tried tweaking some of the settings but dropped it as basically I don't know what I'm doing.
I'm running on Fedora 21 (Gnome 3).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Sadly I was unable to figure it out. Here's a video showing the issue - notice when the circle highlights (not when cursor hovers over it , but shortly after I move the mouse) and how the selection window stays on screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jv9j5yk0lo0o0x9/moi.mp4?dl=0
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.15 In reply to 7175.14 
Hi Przemas, looks like your screen is not redrawing properly maybe... What kind of video card do you have and what driver are you using for it?

Are you using PlayOnLinux for running MoI? Which version of Wine are you using through it, is it version 1.4.1 or some different version?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7175.16 In reply to 7175.15 
thank you for chiming in , Michael - tried both intel driver and nvidia one (through bumblebee - I have laptop with optimus). Tried 3 or 4 wine versions (including 1.4.1) through PlayonLinux.
Also searched the net and it seems some people using Sketchup had similiar issues and they've suggested a modification to wine registry - sadly it didn't work for me :/ .
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7175.17 In reply to 7175.16 
Hi Przemas, sorry I don't have any good idea on what might be going wrong there...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All