MoI and Octane for Rhino
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
7166.2 In reply to 7166.1 
Hi eric, could you maybe elaborate a bit more on what specific "subtle editing capabilities" get lost during this process?

Are they things that are specific just to Octane or are they regular built in Rhino properties?

MoI does try to preserve the materials table in a 3DM file when it opens up a file originating from Rhino, but maybe there is some other kind of Octane specific data that does not get preserved. But that's just a guess, if you can be more specific about what in particular gets lost like a specific property that I could try to examine that might make it possible to make some progress on it.

It could also be possible though that if it's Octane specific data that the Octane plug-in may need to be running in order for it to be processed properly, if so then that may be difficult to solve since that plug-in only runs inside of Rhino.

But if you can give some specific steps, like "go set up a material with this particular property, open it in MoI, save it out from MoI and then open it back in Rhino and then this particular thing does not work" that could maybe help figure things out.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7166.3 In reply to 7166.2 
Hi Michael ...

I'll try to do that later this afternoon ...

thanks,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7166.4 In reply to 7166.3 
I think I understood what Eric is asking.
Of course if you use the same file lots of informations will be lost once you open it in moi again and save.
My solution is to have a separate .3dm file that you will use only with Rhino+Octane (eg. MyProject-Render.3dm); if you need to make any modifications to the model, you can use moi and then replace\add only the part that you changed into the render 3dm file.
M.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7166.5 In reply to 7166.4 
Hi Michael ...

Here are a couple of screenshots that show the difficulty. One is the material as it appears in Rhino after the material from the Octane database is attached to the file.

The other (screenshot 2) is after this file has been saved in MoI and opened again in Rhino. It has lost its attributes. Yes, as wastzzz points out, if the primary file is Rhino/Octane one can use MoI independently to create objects that can be imported into the primary file.

I hope for a time when MoI will retain the material information when one uses the same file for flipping back and forth. As I said earlier, if this is a big job or impossible just let it go as the workaround is an OK way to handle the problem.

cheers,
eric

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7166.6 In reply to 7166.5 
Hi eric can you please e-mail me (at moi@moi3d.com) the 2 3DM files that correspond to each of those screenshots so I can examine them? Thanks.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6