Shrink tube

Next
Hi,

I'd like to shrink the inner tube/ring of this object. The selected parts should come close together a bit. I tried it via the offset/shell/inset command and also extrude but it doesn't work. I am thankful for any ideas.

Stefan

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7151.2 In reply to 7151.1 
Transform / Orient / Line-Line ?
And make some boolean Diff after with this new surface for joint with the rest of the form
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7151.3 In reply to 7151.1 
Hi Stefan, all the little smaller ridge pieces will be difficult for the offsetter to handle, so just trying to offset the entire selection you have there is not likely to work.

Probably your best bet is to go to some earlier version of your model which maybe you had saved off while in progress, and scale the cutting object and then rebuild from there.

To alter just the existing model will be difficult, especially with things like the fillet on the back side edge of it, you would need to remove those or again it's easier to go back to an earlier version of the model that you saved off before doing the fillet there.

You can get some pieces offset if you separate out the large surfaces, do an "untrim" of them to get them back to a simplified form, then retrim as needed and then offset those. That may give you some stuff to work with, see the attached 3DM file. Another thing that makes this complex to offset is the different pieces are at slight angles to one another rather than being smoothly connecting pieces. Offsets of sharp joined pieces do not have the offsets themselves match up with one another naturally, they have to get extended in order for pieces to meet and MoI's offset engine does not handle that very well. If you separate the pieces into individual surfaces it will then be easier for just a single surface that is not joined to other surfaces to be offset to give you something to work with, but then you will need to do some work to fill in the openings between the offset pieces that were not smooth to one another.

For some more information on untrim see here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=444.4

And there's more detailed information on this kind of low level surface repair process in the object repair tutorial here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17

But you have so many different things like fillets adjacent to those surfaces you want to change, it's not an easy process. It's probably better to go back to an earlier saved version and rebuild from there.

But just to demonstrate what might be useful, if you select the 4 larger individual surfaces in the attached 3DM file those should then offset ok for you and may give you something to work with, but again since they are not smooth to one another the offsets do not touch each other and you would need to fill in that missing area manually. But if you wanted to use offset it would be in this way offsetting just some big individual surfaces.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7151.4 In reply to 7151.3 
Sorry for the late reply. I completele forgot about it. I ditched this project because I didn't have access to an older version - just this one file.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All