Rendering MoI Models
 1-20  21-40  41-45

Previous
Next
7145.41 In reply to 7145.40 
Hi Lordfox,

> Only quad-polygons would be better, yes, but I think its only a must in organic models
> :) or? whats your opinion?!

As far as I know if you are only going to be rendering the model there is not any inherent advantage to having all quads. When you hear about needing to model with all quads it's because those quads are going to be used as a control cage for sub-d smoothing - that's when you do want to have all quads. When you're just going to be rendering a model directly and the model is not going to have sub-d smoothing applied to it and is not going to be animated in some bendy way there isn't any really any particular reason why all quads is better than any other kind of polygon structure...

Often times people have heard the "must have all quads" advice a lot because they are in a discussion forum where sub-d modeling is the primary thing that is happening to the polygons. When that's not happening (when it's just direct frozen non-sub-d smoothed polygons being rendered) the "all quads" advice basically becomes out of context.

> but some renders are making fine renders also with tris/n-gons?

All renderers that I am aware of with the exception of Blender can make 100% fine renders with just triangles. Blender is somewhat finicky since without some tweaks it does not support reading in the vertex normals smoothing information from OBJ files which is very important for making good quality renders from CAD data. N-gons are a little trickier, many programs have difficulty dealing with complex n-gons but Modo and Cinema4D have good support for them. If you are not using Modo or Cinema4D you may need to switch from "Output: N-gons" to "Output: Quads & Triangles" when saving out from MoI in order to avoid n-gon triangulation problems in your receiving rendering application.

If you are looking to have a nice render there is not any reason why you should need to do retopology, you would be doing retopology if you have some particular special needs separate from rendering like trying to hand optimize polygon count, trying to prepare a mesh for sub-d smoothing, or trying to prepare a mesh for bendy animation. Those are all special circumstances separate from just doing a render of your model.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Just an update. About a year ago now, I forked out for KeyShot Pro. I actually bought Alibre Pro that came with the CAD version of KeyShot, but I soon tired of having to bring all models over to Alibre to get them into KeyShot. Hence going to the Pro version so I can bring in other file formats. Most of my work is from TurboCAD but I have a couple MoI models / KS renders, a couple SolidWorks model / KS renders and a few Alibre models / KS renders . If you are interested in seeing my KeyShot gallery have a look here: http://www.textualcreations.ca/Flash_Gallery_KeyShot/KeyShot_Gallery.html

The attached mouse was modeled in Moi and rendered in KeyShot. I used a top view to mimic a model and render I had seen by someone else that I really liked.

P.S. Although really costly, I can recommend KeyShot Pro as a possible render engine if you are looking for someway to render your MoI models.

Image Attachments:
Size: 988.7 KB, Downloaded: 41 times, Dimensions: 1200x672px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Numerous models indeed and cornucopia site!

PS You can add to your list the fabulous TwinMotion 2019 &/ or 2020 as renderer and of course many other things! ;)
And piece of cake : that is free for personnal use is you have download it when Epic Games bought the original ! ;)
For commercial use it's (498$ / 2 ) till december 2021 ! ;)

EDITED: 19 Jul 2020 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7145.44 In reply to 7145.42 
Don -

+1 for Keyshot Pro (Although definitely not in the low cost category as some other programs mentioned in this thread.)

My workflow is MoI > Keyshot > Affinity Photo. I export EXR from Keyshot and Tone Map / Post Edit as 32 bit in Affinity.

Ed Ferguson

EDITED: 19 Jul 2020 by EDDYF

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 7145.45 deleted 21 Aug 2020 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-45