obj export

Next
Hi Micheal,
The obj export I think its bugged or something, I have 3dsmax and to import it correctly I have to check the "import as single mesh" option, or I get corrupted geometry.
I need the obj format so I can split the model by styles. At the moment I am importing it as single mesh and manually detach the objects based on MaterialIDs.
M.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7112.2 In reply to 7112.1 
Hi max, well the .obj export works fine with a really wide variety of other programs, so it's pretty unlikely to be a bug in the exporter.

3DS Max has had a problematic .obj importer for quite a long time - that's the main reason why I implemented an FBX format exporter out from MoI, because Max's FBX importer works a lot better. But currently MoI does not export style information to FBX format but it ought to get your geometry to transfer well.

For OBJ format you might try setting the options for "Output: Quads & Triangles" when you export from MoI, if you are exporting complex n-gons and getting what looks like bad geometry it is likely to be n-gon triangulation failures in the Max OBJ importer. Their FBX importer for whatever reason is much better able to handle n-gons.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7112.3 In reply to 7112.2 
Thank you for explanation.
I noticed FBX works a lot better in 3dsmax but often I cannot use it because I want to preserve material IDs.
M.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7112.4 In reply to 7112.3 
If you have a much older version of 3DS Max, try using the other OBJ importer plug-in from here:
http://guruware.at/main/objio/index.html

Otherwise try using "Quads & Triangles" during your MoI export.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All