Newbie Question

Next
I'm a new purchaser of MoI. Many years ago, I did 3D modeling with math-based tools like POVRay, and then did some polygonal modeling. I fear that my approach to a particular problem is skewed by that polygonal mindset, so I'm looking for advice on how to accomplish this in MoI.

I have an extruded irregular shape that I want to make into something like a bas-relief mountain.

For example, I'd like to be able to move the selected vertices down the Z-axis (as shown). I understand that this would require creating new vertices, which is why I can't simply show points and then move them.

If I only wanted to do that one corner, it would be trivial to do a boolean operation. But I really want to end up changing the top surface of the extrusion into a terrain-like surface. What's the right way to approach this?

Thanks!
___Samuel___
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
For tricky mountains

Separate Top Face
Select Face
Show points
If Number of Points is not enough Use the hidden function "ShrinkTrimmedSrf"
(Press Tab and write it directly ShrinkTrimmedSrf or make a shortcut with this same name of the command )
Add Points (with 2 directions and Symmetry if you want numerous points)
Move your points as you want
Select the perimeter and make an big extrude
Cut the bottom at the start altitude 0 with a simple Line
Select the bottom perimeter 0
Planar it
Join all = it's a solid!
et voilĂ  :)

EDITED: 7 Dec 2014 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7111.3 In reply to 7111.2 
Wow!

Thanks for the thorough explanation!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7111.4 In reply to 7111.1 
Hi Samuel, yes wanting to move a vertex around is a very polygonal modeling type approach.

NURBS modeling tends to operate around a very different approach, much more focused on using cutting and boolean operations to build things.

In a case like you have there, "changing the top surface" will usually be done similar to what Pilou shows, by making some extended larger surface (by whatever means you wish, you can use lofting or control point editing like Pilou shows), and then using a boolean operation to slice your main object into 2 pieces with the "terrain" surface, leaving the trimmed terrain surface on the top.

That looks something like this - your base object:

Construct an extended terrain surface, using whatever surface construction method you want like loft through cross sections like here, or any other surface creation tool. The key thing is that the terrain surface will push through the base object, note that this is not trying to construct a surface that directly hugs the irregular outline of the top of the base object, it is an extended surface and you will rely on intersecting that surface with the base object to trim it off to the final outline, rather than trying to "sculpt" individual vertices around like you would in a polygon modeler:

Now select the original base object, and run Construct > Boolean > Difference and select the wavy terrain surface as the cutting object. That will divide the base object into 2 pieces like this:

Delete the piece you don't want and you will be left with the trimmed terrain surface on top:

This concept of initially building a larger extended piece that then gets cut to the final outline is a key thing for NURBS modeling and it's a very different strategy than the individual vertex movement type approach that is used with polygonal modeling.

You might want to check out some of these tips for people coming from a poly modeling background:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7111.5 In reply to 7111.4 
Thanks Michael. I've been very impressed with how responsive you are in these forums - it's one of the reasons I bought the software (I used to do a lot of Open Source development, so I know firsthand how tiresome we users can be).

It turns out that lofting and booleans were really all I needed.

Thanks again!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All