Feedback with V3, Mac OS 10.6

Next
Hi Michael, a few items I have encountered (which probably have been reported already):
1. After using V3 for a few hours with opening and closing multiple windows the following occurs:
a. Attempt to drag an object or attempt to drag a marquee around an object, the entire drawing - desktop and objects - move in unison. Also, objects with their rotation handle showing, cannot be rotated and again, everything moves.
b. Text upper and lower cases work opposite of normal activation, i.e., with caps lock 'on', yields lowercase and with caps lock 'off', uppercase. With caps lock 'off', the 'Shift' key is used to access lowercase and not using the 'Shift' key, uppercase.
Quitting the app and rebooting it restores normal operation.

2. When renaming an object via the 'Edit Object Name' dialog box and should one wander out of the box (partially), the highlighting ends and starting over is a must.

3. Double-clicking a .3dm file created in Moi from the directory opens Mac's TextEdit app with content like the attached image.

Otherwise, still enjoying Moi!

Leonard
Image Attachments:
Size: 139.7 KB, Downloaded: 36 times, Dimensions: 476x412px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7107.2 In reply to 7107.1 
Hi Leonard, thanks for reporting these problems, I have not heard of them before. That's unfortunately going to be difficult to track down the bug when it happens only after a long period of use like that.

If at some point in the future you notice that it tends to occur after some specific action or using one particular tool please let me know about that since that could make it easier for me to reproduce over here. It's very difficult to fix problems that I am not able to reproduce over here with some specific series of actions.

Your #3 can probably be corrected by setting the file association for .3dm files to make it open MoI rather than opening TextEdit.app. See here for an overview on how to set what application will open when you double click on a particular type of file:
http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/08/change-default-application-open-files-mac-os-x/

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7107.3 In reply to 7107.2 
I understand Michael. This happens frequently and there is/are no discernible event(s) preceding the change. The workflow is normal and being completely absorbed in my work, I am not aware of the shift until I encounter a symptom. It has become something I expect. I will monitor things and report back to you if I find a replicable cause.

Would it be possible for Moi's behavior to be altered by a flagging graphics card? At times, I wonder about my computer's card. That said, the Moi graphics are not distorted in any way and changes when rotating a 30mb model are pretty good for a non-powerhouse machine.

Re the file association, that's a new and simple fix for this early Mac user.

Thanks!

L.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7107.4 In reply to 7107.3 
Hi Leonard,

> Would it be possible for Moi's behavior to be altered by a flagging graphics card?

Well it's possible but probably not too likely. Problems with the graphics card usually make display related problems or more severe problems like crashes, not typically kind of subtle problems in program behavior. It's more likely to be some kind of bug with Wine, maybe only on OSX 10.6, it's hard to know for sure without more feedback from others.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

FWIW, I've been using MoI for hours at a time on Mac OS 10.10 and have not seen problems as defined in #1. In fact I've left it open over the weekend and resumed on a Monday and I've been rather surprised on the overall robustness of the app as compared to other 3D apps I'm used to (Lightwave Modeler and SketchUp to name two). I might suggest the OP to update their Mac. I believe the updates are free.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7107.6 In reply to 7107.4 
Hi Michael,

The issue is in progress.

After working in Moi for about an hour, I moved over to Cinema4D leaving 1 Moi file active and 2 open in the background. I returned to Moi after about an hour in C4D and the work area appeared fine but the right margin tools and the Objects/Types/Styles menus and the screen bottom control areas were solid black (pic attached). After a few moments, and starting with the appearance of one label from the Object menu, the active window recovered gradually and then quickly. I opened a new window to import a pdf of a scaled figure. The import was normal. When I tried to flip the figure the entire field - active curve and Moi background - moved in unison. Strangely, the other 3 windows, when each was brought to the front, behaved normally. I returned to the problem file and it was still not right. I left the Moi file with a test file open to write this email. I just went back to the Moi file, prepared to video what is happening and when I clicked on the test file circle tool, the window suddenly jumped to the problem file. More strangeness: the problem file resumed working normally.

L.
Image Attachments:
Size: 68.1 KB, Downloaded: 193 times, Dimensions: 1000x563px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All