MoI Export for Keyshot
All  1-3  4-7

Previous
Next
Michael,

Since Keyshot never shows triangles, then I suspect the only chance I get to see what the mesh looks like is your preview-- so I'll keep on exporting TRIs.

Pretty cool about the normals. I understand what you're saying is that because you have the ACTUAL representation of the surface (and not a fake poly rep), then you can easily calculate the exact normals on export. To test I went ahead and made a very simple model which would give Keyshot fits if exported from Lightwave (or other poly modeler) if not set up correctly with smoothing angles.

1. The model in MoI
2. The export tesselation.
3. The rendering in Keyshot. Works great!!!

Martin,

Yes, you are mostly correct about close up shots. But I don't believe even in extreme closeups you need a higher Divide larger than density on surfaces, only a smaller Angle setting (move slider farther right). Michael, am I correct in assuming you will subdivide accurately a curved surface at an even higher angular density (lower angle) if the Divide larger than setting requires it?

Assuming the definition of curve vs plane is geometric and not determined by the Angle setting.

So, even if you have an angle setting of 8, a Divide larger than setting which subdivides a mesh across a surface (curve) which has an angle of 4 degrees will still get subdivided. Is this the correct understanding?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7098.5 In reply to 7098.4 
Hi Chipp,

> I understand what you're saying is that because you have the ACTUAL representation of the surface
> (and not a fake poly rep), then you can easily calculate the exact normals on export.

Yup, that's exactly right - that can be one of the advantages of NURBS modeling, that you basically have an underlying master accurate version of the object that can be used as a reference for various calculations. It especially helps when there are things like exact spheres or cylinders involved in the model.

The shading working in this way can help in other cases too like generating rough low polygon versions of objects, even rough polygons tend to shade nicely since the shading comes from the accurate original surface and not just averaged between polygons that are themselves approximations.

> Michael, am I correct in assuming you will subdivide accurately a curved surface at an even
> higher angular density (lower angle) if the Divide larger than setting requires it?

Yup, that's correct - "Divide larger than" can be used to force further subdivisions than what the angle parameter would do by itself.

Just one thing to note is the drop-down on the right side of "Divide larger than" plays a role too, it controls whether that will be applied to just curved surfaces, or whether it will be applied to all surfaces.

Using "Divide larger than" can especially help for shapes that are fairly wide but only very shallowly curved, often times if the shape has a big yet very shallow curvature it tends to require a very tight angle to get a lot of subdivisions on it, that's when the distance based "Divide larger than" can be used to chop things up additionally.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7098.6 In reply to 7098.4 
The values I use on the export dialogue are entirely dynamic, based off the model I'm meshing...

The meshing angle is used first to approximate the density. The divide larger than and avoid smaller than are then manipulated together to attempt to produce the "most uniform mesh"......

The values entered in the divide and avoid fields are based entirely on the size of the object being meshed.....

then Poly count goals are looked at. The mesh angle is adjusted then the divide and avoid values adjusted again, until uniform and poly count goals are acceptable....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7098.7 In reply to 7098.4 
Hi Chip

** Since Keyshot never shows triangles, then I suspect the only chance I get to see what the mesh looks like is your preview-- so I'll keep on exporting TRIs. **

If you check the Miscellaneous materials there are two wireframe materials in there so you can view the underlying mesh. Keyshots meshing only generates triangles so even if it was fed quads it wouldn't make any difference, and KS has a sissy fit with N-Gons or did with v3 which is when i last tested it with them.

Martin Spencer-Ford

EDITED: 3 Dec 2014 by TPWUK

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-7