Problem with the FLOW command

Next
Hi all,

I'm having difficulty with the FLOW command because I need it to wrap the object on the target surface uniformly i.e. keep the grid looking as close to the uniform mesh pattern seen here as possible but instead the object gets stretched on some parts.

I'm using MOI v3

help!

cheers
KRUM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7097.2 In reply to 7097.1 
Make your base surface structured the way the target surface is... Turn on points for the target surface, then turn on points for the base surface and compare...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7097.3 In reply to 7097.1 
Hi KRUM - surface to surface flow is sensitive to what is called the "parameterization" of each surface, basically if one surface has areas where control points are compressed or widened the deformation will follow the same compression or widening as well.

There are 2 different ways you can do something about this though. The first way is to use curve to curve flow instead. That's where you select a base curve and a target curve to do the flow rather than a base surface and target surface. So in your case there the base curve would be the bottom edge of the plane underneath the straight part, and the target curve would be the bottom edge of your current target surface.

Curve to curve flow does a deformation that is based on distance traveled along the curve, it is not sensitive to differences in parameterization and so it should get rid of this non uniform spacing when you use it instead of surface to surface flow.

The other way you can avoid the problem is to reconstruct your target surface to have better parameterization. The easiest way to do that for your case here would be to extract the bottom edge (select it and use Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V to copy and paste it as a regular curve), then run the Rebuild command on that curve (http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#rebuild) with the Mode = "Refit" option. One of the things about the rebuild command is that it produces a curve that has a distance based parameterization to it. If you then extrude that curve the resulting surface will behave better for a Flow target.

But using curve to curve Flow is probably the most simple way. You do not need to do any rebuilding step for curve to curve flow since it is based on matching distances traveled along the curve rather than based only on UV parameter space mapping like surface to surface flow.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
B E A utiful! Worked like a dream. I can't thank you all enough for the speedy resolution.

I can see the potential of using the 'parameterization' and I now understand why the workflow is the way it is. it's brilliant!

Many thanks again guys
KRUM
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All