Multiple Objects Distribution Along Axis?

Next
Hello,

Is there a script that will distribute parts or groups of parts along an axis or curve? It would be sort of like the ExpoldeMove command but along a set axis or curve, e.g. being able to distribute parts evenly along the orange line indicated in the picture.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7095.2 In reply to 7095.1 
Hi OSTexo,

> Is there a script that will distribute parts or groups of parts along an axis or curve?

I'm not aware of one that does that. Are they in their assembled position to start with? It can be difficult for a script to automatically identify what order the pieces should be distributed in. For example ExplodeMove works based on the object's bounding box center but that does not work well for a mix of long and short pieces like in your example image.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello Michael,

Yes, the parts would be lined up so you could pick an object or side that would act as the anchor point, sort of like the directional Array command and then pull the objects away from that anchor in a linear fashion or even along a curve, which may be helpful in other applications but not necessarily in illustration which could benefit when exploding assemblies in an ordered fashion. It might even make sense to pick the anchor point, select the objects in order from closest to farthest and then drag out the line, or select an existing line or curve for the objects to follow. If you have offset parts it might also be helpful to be able to pick orientation points on the objects to keep inline for exploded parts diagrams. Perhaps a toggle could allow for the detailed point option, with the default being the bounding box center of parts being lined up. It almost seems all of the options are there, but merging things to work together would take some effort. I'll try to sketch it out in the next few days since I'm probably not making too much sense. Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Not exactly what you want but can help! ;)

MoveSliceToPoint
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2749.36
Objects can be anything! Curves surfaces, volumes...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hello,

I forgot about that plugin, you're right, it's not the 100% solution but can definitely help, thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All