Feature request - Boolean Split
All  1-4  5-8

Previous
Next
You're right, it takes a while to find all the tools and where they are. And as it been a few months since i last time used Moi it's not making it any easier getting started again and to find where everything new is placed and what it does. :) but you can skip this feature request, one less thing to add to Moi hehe

True, it's quite easy to simply think that if it works like this in Rhino then it should work like this in Moi too, which it obviously don't. Not that it's a bad thing, if it's easier which infact it is now in Moi then it's all good.

Btw, one other thing.. it probably been asked/requested before but i'll ask again. How about variable fillets and chamfers, could you add that ? ..and also so when a surface curve which will be filleted or chamfered on a object is selected then it can autoselect all edges that connects in a flow to that first edge you selected, if you understand what i mean. SolidWorks has filleting and chamfering which works like this and it's wonderful to use when you add chamfers and fillets to your objects, it makes the process so much quicker on large complex objects.

/ Magnus
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
709.6 In reply to 709.5 
Hi Magnus,

> True, it's quite easy to simply think that if it works like this in Rhino then it
> should work like this in Moi too, which it obviously don't. Not that it's a bad
> thing, if it's easier which infact it is now in Moi then it's all good.

Yeah, although there are plenty of similarities (they are both NURBS modelers after all), MoI is organized quite a bit differently, mostly to keep things trimmed down and solve a problem of "UI overload" which is a really major stumbling block especially for people just starting out or trying to use the modeler more casually.

One of the big differences is that MoI relies heavily on being able to pre-pick sub objects such as edges or faces before launching a command. This helps to give additional context to the command and lets it adapt to do different things depending on the input. It is actually a big win for keeping the UI simple when each command is more powerful (and also complex itself), which is in a way counter-intuitive.

In Rhino, I structured things where each individual command was more simple and more narrowly focused on a particular task. This was good for certain things, and it certainly made it easier to design each individual command. But eventually it leads to a huge proliferation in the number of commands all of which tend to compete for space in the UI and have a very overwhelming effect...

> How about variable fillets and chamfers, could you add that ?

I do want to add this, but not until after version 1.0 is out. It's going to take a bit of time to plan the UI for it, that tends to be very time consuming for me, so I have postponed this until later.

re: Chain edges - this is another one that I am planning on adding but again not for version 1.0. It should end up with kind of a bundle of selection helpers. One note - if you want to fillet all edges that belong to one face (like the top of something, or all around the bottom of an indentation), you can select faces as input to the filleter, and all edges of those faces will be filleted. Sometimes that is easier than selecting edges.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yes interface overload as you mentioned is a major issue with apps like Rhino, there's a gazillion tiny buttons, commands and menues to scroll through to find what you're looking for. :) it can easily scare off newbies when they try to get started in nurbsmodeling. That's one place where Moi has an advantage due to it's simplicity.

Good to hear you would like to add variable fillets and chamfers and also chain edges, but i fully understand it's best for a 1.x release than 1.0 as i understand you're pretty much finished with your 1.0 release by now. No rush tho, take the time you need to do it well so the functions are stable and solid, rushing it will only result in a poor job. :)

Great tip about selecting the face to fillet the edges, i missed that one. Thanks! :)

Btw, here's a quick 60 min modeling test i ran last night with Moi. It's supposed to be a cablemodem..

[Edit] : And a 2 hour testrendering of the Moi model.

/ Magnus

EDITED: 29 Jun 2007 by MAX

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
709.8 In reply to 709.7 
Very nice Magnus, clean modeling job and nice looking render!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-8