How can I separate the tabs in the Side Pane?

Next
For so long, I've just used it as is, but it dawned on me that it would be much more efficient if I could separate the tabs in the side pane. I'm always clicking between "CONSTRUCT" and "TRANSFORM" - so it would be great to simply have both available at the same time. How would I go about modifying that?

Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7068.2 In reply to 7068.1 
I remember seeing this done on the forum, somewhere.

- Brian

Maybe some help here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6968.2

Edit again, I tried Max's SidePane, but the displays overlapped and minimized. :-(

Another link:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6278.1

Maybe a 27 inch monitor is needed?

EDITED: 22 Nov 2014 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7068.3 In reply to 7068.1 
Hi Sneather, the side pane tabs are controlled by the file SidePane.htm which is inside the \ui sub-folder. On the Windows version you'll find it inside the main installation folder, on Mac right-click the application and choose "Show package contents" and inside there go to drive_c/moi/ui

The file needs to be edited in a text editor and have the palette structure changed.

Those tool palettes (like Construct and Transform) are made up of 2 pieces, a header piece which is a <moi:PaletteHeader> element followed by body piece which is a <moi:PaletteBody> . To separate Construct and Transform would mean making a new palette setup immediately after the current one (inserting a new <moi:PaletteHeader></moi:PaletteHeader><moi:PaletteBody></moi:PaletteBody>), and move the Transform things from the existing one into the new header/body.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7068.4 In reply to 7068.3 
Thanks, Michael.
Out of curiosity, have you given thought to trying to implement a flexible GUI for future MOI versions? Something along the lines of Cinema 4D's malleable interface.
Or is that a massively difficult undertaking? I would presume so.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7068.5 In reply to 7068.4 
Hi sneather,

> Out of curiosity, have you given thought to trying to implement a flexible GUI for future MOI
> versions? Something along the lines of Cinema 4D's malleable interface.
> Or is that a massively difficult undertaking? I would presume so.

I do have some ideas along those lines that I would like to work on in the future.

There are many issues to work out though, one of the biggest is how to deal with new UI elements that are introduced with new features.

Basically if you have customized the UI and set it up all differently than the stock UI, then it could be problematic to figure out how to integrate changes to the stock UI back into your own changes.

Overall I consider UI customization to be something that will likely be used by a fairly smaller number of more advanced users, and to a certain extent those types of users can already modify the UI as it is already... So that has made it less of a priority.

Just making a stock UI that works well has been the overall main priority.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All