no solid is generated

Next
Hi all,

I have a simple curve, made out of arcs and straight lines, and sweep it around a rectangle with rounded corners. I then select the open edges, click 'planar' and join the 2 planes to the sweep. I should get a solid, but instead get a joined srf. which makes it difficult to boolean of course.
If I try this with a simpler curve, like a 180 degree arc, then I get a solid.
What does it take to get a solid with the desired curve?

tnx
wim
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 17.6 KB, Downloaded: 13 times, Dimensions: 162x486px
Size: 27.2 KB, Downloaded: 16 times, Dimensions: 195x497px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7016.2 In reply to 7016.1 
Hi Wim,

This is a strange one, looks like a tolerance thing with Planar surface, just a guess, Michael will have to look into it.
The work around for now, this is why I find it strange, I un-trimmed the Planar surface, you do that by selecting the surface then the edge press CTRL+A then Delete, then I used Edit > Trim to trim the surface again, do that for both sides and Join, it should now be a solid.

~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7016.3 In reply to 7016.1 
Hi Wim,

if you generate those planes (or at least one) from the original rail, everything is dandy and you will end up with a solid. it might got something to do with those edges, you used for the planar command. Could be a "seam issue"...

~Marco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Danny and Marco, I'll try both workarounds for now.

rgds
wim
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7016.5 In reply to 7016.1 
Hi wim, it seems to be a bug in the Planar command - what happens is after the sweep the resulting open edges are just a teeny tiny amount out of tangent to one another. There is a mechanism in the curve gathering method that PlanarSrf uses that looks for near tangent curves and if they are really close to being tangent to one another (like within 0.5 degrees), it adjusts the shape of the end tangents so that they are exactly tangent.

The problem is in your case here that adjustment happens on the long straight piece and it changes the shape enough that it's about 0.03 units away from it's original shape and then out of join tolerance with the original edges.

So anyway that's the source of this particular trouble - I'll need to look into whether this end tangent modification should just be removed or maybe if it should test how much the tangent moves the curve away from its original shape and not do it if it's too far...

The workarounds above will get the job done for this case for the moment since they will run through a path that does not do the tangent adjustment.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All