Snapping question (moving stuff around)

Next
Hi, I'm giving Moi a test run (and really liking it so far!).
I'm really big on designing on the grid when the design allows for it, it saves time and guarantees precision.

I was wondering if it's possible to have the following snapping behavior.
In a vector app like Illustrator you can select an object and moving it around will snap it in grid size increments (I guess it uses the bounding box center).
Doing this in Moi seems to snap the point at which is clicked to the grid, rather than moving the entire object in fixed increments.
This is making my objects move off the grid all the time, which is really offputting. Is it possible to avoid this and get the former dragging style instead?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7005.2 In reply to 7005.1 
Hi Spiney, if you move an object by directly dragging on it, it will position it from the point you grabbed on the object, not from the grid like you want.

But there is a different way of moving objects that will work for you - use the Transform > Move command (first command on the Transform palette on the side pane) rather than direct object dragging.

Transform > Move will let you pick 2 points to specify the movements, a base point and a target point. These points can go anywhere, the base point is not restricted to have to go directly on the object like how object dragging works.

So select your object, run Transform > Move, then pick the base point on the grid, and the target point also on the grid and that will do just grid based movement.

Direct object dragging is a sort of shortcut way of moving things but it's more focused on snapping objects together by matching endpoints to endpoints and stuff like that.

It's also possible to set up arrow keys to move things in fixed increments as well, for some info on setting that up see here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#Nudge

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7005.3 In reply to 7005.2 
The move tool and nudge script both work fine, thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All