"duplicate" Script

Next
Hello folks,
Because I use MOI at least 50% of the time on my tablet (sans keyboard) I'd love you have a "duplicate" button. This is, and should be the simplest thing in the world but I'm not having much luck.

eg script: moi.copy();moi.paste(); (don't laugh!)

I know there's Copy and Paste buttons already on the main panel but I use the Custom UI and would dearly like to have a dedicated Duplicate button on the bottom pane.
Any advice ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7003.2 In reply to 7003.1 
Hi Rico,

Here's one from Michael,

script: /* Duplicate selected objects */ var gd = moi.geometryDatabase; var objs = gd.getSelectedObjects(); if ( objs.length != 0 ) gd.copyToClipboard( objs ); moi.command.execCommand( 'paste' );

I find it useful even with a keyboard.

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I have never had the need for this functionality. But thinking about it: Nobody (?) needs a duplicate to leave it where it is, next step is almost certainly (?) a movement of the freshly duplicated object. If that assumption is correct, then isn't a Transform > Copy a far more quicker way?

Just trying to understand when a copy-paste would be useful.

Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7003.4 In reply to 7003.3 
It may be the chaotic way in which I work but I use Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v followed by an immediate renaming quite a bit when I'm developing an assembly for 3d printing.
This gives me the original object with its original name 'under' a duplicate with a new name in exactly the right place in the assembly.
I then deselect the original object and continue designing on the new object.
I can readily switch between the two and if I decide that the new variant is inferior delete it and still have the earlier version available.

Mike.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Ditto,

One example would be to transform an edge into a line.
Another is creating dummy objects for construction, ex blends...

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Ahhh that's just perfect, thank you (this forum is outstanding!)

And Ditto -you're right of course, though the copy is usually followed by either a Transform, rotate or scale. Fairly often I make a duplicate just to lock down the original before uncertain edits too. So in this case Duplicate is perfect for my needs (not everybodys, and i absolutely respect Micheals UI strategy -it really does encourage experimentation and Eureka moments rather than 18x the amount of button clutter).

Religiously naming objects is usually something I do as almost second nature when on my workstation, but its not as easy on the tablet when mobile. for the record however- Moi on a tablet while commuting is actually a dream to use and a sanity saver!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All