Dangerous newbie: How to set center of rotation on 3D view?

Next
Yesterday, I noticed that when I'd right-click drag in the 3D view, the point of rotation was off in the distance. As I rotated, the model would wildly scroll left and right.

I clicked on 'reset', and I was happily rotating around the origin (and middle of my model) again.

Today, I was experimenting with CPlane in View tab, and realised my model is no longer oriented on the plane I'd told it. Ctrl-Z didn't seem to have any effect on undoing this.

Through various rotations, I was able to get the model back to its correct orientation.

Is there a way to pick a new centerpoint of rotation? If I'm zoomed in and focused on a tiny part in one corner of the device, I don't want it to go walkabout simply because I'm rotating.

Thanks,

-Ken
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
6993.2 In reply to 6993.1 
Hi Ken - there are 2 main ways to set the rotation pivot point. The first way is what you already saw - the Reset button on the toolbar that's at the bottom of the viewport.

That reset button will put the rotation pivot point at the center of the bounding box of the targeted objects. When you first click it, it will target the current selected objects. If you click it a second time after that it will switch to target the entire scene.

If you want to focus in on a small area of a model it can work to select an edge or a face in that area (using the "drill down" selection where the first click selects the whole object, and then if you do a second click on that same object it will go into edge or face sub-objects), then click Reset so that it targets that small piece of the object.

If there is not any convenient sized piece of the object to select for where you want to pivot, the other way of setting the pivot is to use the "Zoom area" button that is on that same viewport toolbar. That will let you pick a window for what to zoom in on, and the first point that you pick for the center of the window will become the new rotation pivot point so click that first point onto the specific point location that you want to pivot around. That allows you to pivot around any specific point in space.

Let me know if any of this does not make sense - hope this helps.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All