Problems importing a Rhino file

Next
Hi all,

I'm having trouble importing a Rhino file. When I try to import or open it (both methods behave the same way), nothing happens. Literally, nothing happens. I select the file, click to import or open, but nothing happens. The import or open dialogue box vanishes, but then that's it. Zippo. Zero. No error messages, no nothing.

This is a valid Rhino file, by the way. Its a Rhino 5 .3dm file.

Any help?

Thanks,

Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6990.2 In reply to 6990.1 
Hi Bob

It is my understanding that the mesh data in the 3dm does not import, only "Nurbs" data if there is any.

- Brian (amateur)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6990.3 In reply to 6990.1 
Hi Bob, the file probably contains either only all polygon mesh objects, or only all block instances - neither of which MoI reads from 3DM files.

If it's because they are block instances, then converting the instances into regular objects in Rhino and then resaving the file would then work, to do that open the 3DM file in Rhino, select everything and run the ExplodeBlock command, then save out a new version of the file.

If it's because the file contains polygon mesh objects only then it's a much more difficult problem because MoI is only designed to work with NURBS surface and solids objects and not polygon mesh objects. You would generally need to use a different kind of program, one that works on polygon mesh type data in order to work on models like that.

Hope this helps, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All