MoI on a tablet

Next
Hi guys,

After watching this video I feel an itch to consider buying a tablet that supports working with MoI like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_rfaVmmH8

Does anyone have experience working with MoI on a high-end tablet? Can such a tablet be a full desktop replacement yet?

The downside is that I want to fully shift to Apple products. The last station I'm heading towards is changing my current Windows PC to a Mac. Will MoI be available for iOS in the future?

Metin

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) modeling • animation • artwork • design • illustration • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ya I saw that video a long time ago too. He makes it look so easy and fluid doesn't he?

Well don't get a Dell Venue Pro11 like I did. What a piece of junk. The tablet itself is fine and handles Moi, Photoshop and Rhino fine. i5 CPU and up to 8GB of ram. The problem I'm having is the active stylus and the screen are still very buggy even after being on the market for quite some time now. The stylus uses an AAAA battery which is hard to find and expensive and it goes through batteries like there's no tomorrow. Driver updates are fast and furious and I admit it is getting better but it's still a long way from being usable for cg/3D work. Dell tech help has been very frustrating to say the least.

Anyways, long story short.. make sure you get something that uses a Wacom stylus and you should be fine.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6985.3 In reply to 6985.1 
Hi Metin,

> Can such a tablet be a full desktop replacement yet?

Yeah certainly current generation tablets have enough processing power in them to be able to handle desktop type jobs.

You might look into the Microsoft Surface, if you do make sure you get the Surface Pro model and not the "RT" one that runs a special version of Windows.

> Will MoI be available for iOS in the future?

Sorry no, it's not likely in the foreseeable future since it would involve a significant amount of general rework and UI redesign as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
As for the use on a iOS device.

Depending on what you would like to do using MOI on a tablet.
you might be interested in an extended desktop app from splashtop called xdisplay (splash top extended desktop2)
It enables you to use your iPad as a second monitor for your laptop or desktop computer.
The cool thing is that it also allows you to use the iPads touchscreen to control whatever you are running on your computer.
So you can also control MOI!
So if you are only looking for a way to draw lines with your hand and you already have an iPad you might get what you want for less then 5€!

I have tried it and it works fine.
Just for orbiting in 3d I recommend just using your mouse.
It works using the inscreen orbit and zoom buttons, but it didn't feel that good when orbiting.
Maybe if you change some of the control options in moi, it might work better. Don't know.
You can download a free version wich works for 5min at a time.
You do have to install a programram called splashtop streamer on your computer to setup the connection.
And both devices need to be connected to the same wifi network of course.

I have no idea how it works together when you are using a Bluetooth stylus or something.
But I think it won't make a difference.

Hope it helps
And if not for this, you might just like it to extend your desktop. :)
It even streams your computers audio!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Not using a mouse is useful when you want to draw curves with speed artistic voluptuous forms! ;)

(first minute)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Many thanks for your replies guys! Apologies for my late response. Somehow the forum notification emails are arriving sporadically or not at all lately.

I'm surely going to try the iPad suggestion, thanks Glenn! I've already bought Splashtop Remote a few years ago, almost forgot about that way of communicating between iPad and desktop PC.

Michael, I've read a lot of cool things about the Surface Pro, but I'm fed up with Microsoft to be honest — particularly since the hybrid UI mess of Windows 8 — and longing for a complete Apple eco system. Love my iPad, iPhone and Apple TV.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
What about MoI on Smart Phones?

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6985.8 In reply to 6985.7 
... And on the Apple Watch! ㋡

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) modeling • animation • artwork • design • illustration • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6985.9 In reply to 6985.7 
Hi Michael T,

> What about MoI on Smart Phones?

Same thing as on iPad - it would require a significant redesign and a lot of rework, so it's not something that's feasible in the foreseeable future, sorry...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6985.10 In reply to 6985.6 
I was an Apple guy (and generally disliked Microsoft) but the Surface actually changed that. The SP is a great machine and runs Moi well. The multi-touch support let me put away my Space Navigator. Works fine with my iDevices too.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6985.11 In reply to 6985.10 
Hmm... Tempting. ㋡ But I guess I'll hold on to my Apple plans, hoping one of the next iMacs will be a huge, powerful iPad with pressure sensitivity. ㋡
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All