Extrude along normal?

Next
Hi is it somehow possible to extrude a round surface like a cylinder along its normal direction like in PolyModeling?
i cant get it done in Moi and Rhino. maybe its not possible in NURBS?
the Cylinder was done with 2D scale and join them together out of single parts.
I have a complex surface and like to make some kind of seam around. "2D Scale" shift some points out of the normal direction.
So this is not the best way to go. does anyone have a idea?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6947.2 In reply to 6947.1 
Hi BlackBird - you can use Construct > Offset > Shell for doing that.

See here for some more information:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#shell

Shell works in 2 different ways depending on whether the input to it is a face sub-object selection or whether it's an individual surface selected.

When you have a face that belongs to a bigger solid selected, it will offset all the other pieces of the solid and leave that selected face as the opening, that does stuff like this:

If you use it in the other way when there is an individual surface selected, it will thicken the surface by generating an offset surface, and connect the edges between the original and the offset like this:

You want to use it in this second mode, so use Edit > Separate on your piece to break it out into an individual unjoined surface before running Shell on it.

You can also use Construct > Offset > Offset to just generate an offset surface only, that will generate the main offset surface just by itself to use for further construction. In CAD this type of operation where a result is generated by tracking along the surface normal of a curved surface is usually called "offset".

Let me know if this is not what you were looking for.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6947.3 In reply to 6947.2 
yes thank you Michael. it works like the way i need.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All