Is mol good for game development or does it create bad polygons like sketchup?
All  1-4  5-8

Previous
Next
Michael wrote:
"However, MoI's mesher is quite good compared to how CAD programs usually do it"

Now THAT's an understatement if ever I saw one. Micheal, don't be bashful.
MOI's mesh output is the reason I first took notice. I wouldn't have given credit to MOI's deceptive underlying power without it.

I now work in marketing and previs, but after nearly 20 years of working in the games industry I can state that yes, absolutely it's a viable tool in the pipeline for game asset creation. There's nothing like it for quick, clean parametric modelling, and the conversion to hard poly meshes is, basically, perfect.

/Rico Holmes
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6933.6 In reply to 6933.5 
Thanks for the kind words, Rico! I'm really glad that MoI has been useful for you!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ola,

I'm using MoI for hires modeling in the game industry. Basically it's not very different than Zbrush user in the workflow.

While most of the time I rebuild the low res 'by hand', MoI is still a huge help to pre-decimate the model. Thanks to the angle subdivision of the mesher, MoI show how the topology need to look like to get the best result vs polycount, priceless.

As a side story, I even uses MoI lately to resolve a very annoying modeling problem. I have to provide a very low res skybox geometry for one of our game. The idea was to create an half sphere, with a very specific subdivision pattern (simply said, more division on the lower angle). The goal was to avoid a much distortion as possible in a parallax shader.

Went out perfectly as our programmers need !

EDITED: 3 Dec 2015 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
I find that if you can avoid curved sections in your models (use Chamfers instead of Fillets), you can usually get away without requiring much retopo work back in your poly modeler, if any at all.

For me, MoI's mesher was the largest selling point - excellent stuff!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-8