Sketchup export

Next
Hi, I would like to ask, when I export some object into sketchup is that possible to convert named objects into Sketchup Components? This feature would be really convenient.
Thanks,
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6932.2 In reply to 6932.1 
Hi Andras - I'd like to do components in the future but I think it would be a better match to first implement "blocks" or "instances" in MoI first and then try to have those come over as components rather than trying to map just basic named objects into components in SketchUp.

Maybe I don't fully understand how SketchUp components work, are they just a name label for an object, or are they instances where many clones of a certain template object can be inserted and then modified by changing their base template?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Till now export your object in 3ds format from Moi! (if you have more than object!
Import them in Sketchup

Explode them one time if you have more than one object!

With names or without name from Moi they will arrive in Sketchup with definition name obj0, obj1, obj2 etc...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6932.4 In reply to 6932.2 
Hi Michael,
in sketchup "groups" are named objects and "components" are instances.
They are quite powerful.
If you edit one component (double clicking on it) and save it all other copies are updated. You can "save as" a component in an external file; "reload" a component from an external file (changing all the instances); "make unique" a component so it is detached from all the other copies. You can also add or move sub-components or sub-group using the "Outliner" tool.
In Sketchup pro 2014 it is also available a "Classifier" tool: you can attach info to a component for exchanging data (not only geometry) with other 3D BIM software or for extracting data and to generate reports.

Thank you for your great work!

-Giovanni
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Eventually 3ds export works as I expected thanks for the tip, So all cubes that I made in moi3d are imported as groups in sketchup. That's great.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All