Boolean problem in V3

Next
I just upgraded to V3 and I'm having some issues getting the result I want out of a Boolean operation.

When I try the same in V2 the Boolean works as expected.

Maybe something broke ?

I attached the Moi scene file, and an image that might explain the issue better.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6928.2 In reply to 6928.1 
Hi,
tube intersects itself I think that leads to an boolean exception
another problem, the model is not closed,... has open edges (yellow marked)

-EDDI
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6928.3 In reply to 6928.2 
Hey, thanks Eddi.

I see you visualized the actual geometry lines, that looks very helpful. How did you do that ? I looked for it in the options panel, but can't find any option to enable those.

Thanks again,

-Ronald
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6928.4 In reply to 6928.3 
Hi Ronald,
model was loaded and evaluated in Rhino...

But for your is a good chance too see isolines (not tested) in Moi3D with this script.....
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6841.3

and unclosed edge with this script from here:
SelectNakedEdgesV2 – it deselects all objects and highlight all edges that are not joined so that can help to show you what parts of an object are the ones stopping it from being a closed solid (watertight object).
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/
-EDDI
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6928.5 In reply to 6928.3 
Hi Ronald, yeah if your objects have "self intersections" like that it can pretty much mess up booleans.

There have been some changes in booleans since v2 to fix various other kinds of problems (things like calculating intersections to a tighter tolerance when there are small edges involved in the objects), which for most cases should be an improvement but in this particular case with a kind of messy intersection being involved it's sort of a matter of luck that v2 happened to work at all on it...

> I see you visualized the actual geometry lines, that looks very helpful. How did you do
> that ? I looked for it in the options panel, but can't find any option to enable those.

I think that's a screenshot of your objects imported into Rhino - Rhino usually displays a set of extra isocurves on objects, mainly it's a hold over from Rhino's original wireframe display mode. Currently there isn't any way to turn on that kind of additional wire display in MoI but I do want to add it in as a type of analysis tool in the future at some point. Having them on all the time tends to greatly clutter the display and make it more difficult to see the full surfaces, that's why MoI does not really do that type of display by default.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6928.6 In reply to 6928.1 
Another thing you can do to analyze boolean problems is to select the objects and run Construct > Curve > Isect on them which generates curves at the intersections between objects.

If you then go around and take a bit of a closer look at those curves, if you see any type of irregular boundaries like gaps or pieces sticking out past one another, those are going to be problem areas where there was not a clean intersection.

Like for example in your case here there are some intersection areas like this:

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks guys, looks like I have to clean up my modeling.

>>Currently there isn't any way to turn on that kind of additional wire display in MoI but I do want to add it in as a type of analysis tool in the future at some point.

That would be a big help for analyzing problem areas I think. But I'll try the Isect Curves to check for intersections if I run into boolean problems again, thanks for that.

-Ronald
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All