V4 Wish List
 1-20  …  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  …  561-574

Previous
Next
Hi Michael ...

My priority remains: dimensioning and Text that is not made up of 3d solids.

Yes, I have Rhino and it is not a big chore to switch back and forth but I would rather not have to.

2nd on my list are line types.

Printing would be nice.

Thank you for MoI.

cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
So my biggest wish is 64-bit, a client sent me a huge data sets(I talking entire buildings...)! Also if the viewport can handle huge data would be nice, being able to move around and work on huge data is a must once you go 64-bit. Fusion360 still struggles in the latter area.

EDITED: 20 Nov 2016 by SONKIM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael, could you please add a "Create cool model" button to MoI V4. I'd appreciate that.

Thanks in advance,

— Metin

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) models • animation • characters • icons • illustration • infographics • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.124 In reply to 6925.123 
@ Metin
Try Shift + Ctrl + Alt + Click on the Icon Options (Bottom right screen)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

while playing with the API, I try to use the freehand sketch tool, but using it, allways gives no satisfactory result. It's so final. So I tried to improve the behavior, but its very difficult to implement in JS. Nevertheless I want to make a proposal for maybe v4 or v5. The sketch curve isn't finished until I make a gesture or until a timer runs out.

If not that, a G2-Patch tool for 3-4 sided gaps in joined surfaces.

Have a nice day
Karsten

EDITED: 18 Dec 2017 by KMRQUS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.126 In reply to 6925.124 
Frenchy: :D

— Metin

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) models • animation • characters • icons • illustration • infographics • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.127 In reply to 6925.125 
Karsten, good suggestion, to be able to correct parts of a freehand curve. That'd be great.

— Metin

———————

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.128 In reply to 6925.127 
Hello Metin,

yes - my problem is, that I have a pen-tablet, but I never use the Sketch, becaus e- after I've made the Sketch, I always make a rebuild, switch on the control points and move them around:-(
I've written a script for sketch/stroke manipulation, but the result is still unsatisfying (as shown)
Anyway it would a cool feature for tablet users and would build a bridge to a more natural workflow on tablets.

Have a nice day
Karsten
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.129 In reply to 6925.128 
Hi Karsten, I've thought before about trying to make a curve shaping tool that worked sort of like an airbrush where you could apply multiple airbrush strokes and then I'd work on fitting a curve through the densest region of it. Then maybe you could alter it by erasing the edges of some airbrush areas or applying more airbrush strokes on top of other areas.

Unfortunately it will require a lot of very time consuming experimental work to make that happen so I'm not likely to be able to get to it very soon.

Right now if you want more control than what the current sketch can do, I'd recommend drawing with control points instead.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.130 In reply to 6925.129 
Hello Michael,
I'm sure you've already thought about it. And I agree with you, that you have to do some more important things at the moment, but I believe it would fit perfectly to Moi's intuitive concept.
Many thanks
and have a nice day
Karsten
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello Michael,

Might it be convenient to introduce a feature to manage a user-defined list of observation vantages for the 3D viewport?
It may be useful, between edits, to have the ability to reset the perspective view to that of a prior screenshot.

MOI is the best software experience.
-- Mindset
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.132 In reply to 6925.131 
Hi Mindset, yes that's often times called a "named view" or "saved view" and it is something I want to add. I've been thinking about making a new section in the Scene Browser that could hold some "lists of things" like this, such as saved views, cplanes, and maybe background bitmaps should go under there as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

My top 3:

1. Support for nested groups, for example to preserve the hierarchy of imported STEP data
2. Support for nested group hierarchy in the skp export
3. Instancing

Thanks for your commitment and excellent work. MoI is an indispensable tool in our workflow.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael,

No doubt you have been monitoring the development of Project Elephant. I am especially excited by recent embryonic development of paneling functionality made possible by "polyLoft" & "mFlowObj" nodes.

This advancement could be fully unleashed with an extension to the "Flow" option : "Flow Between"

Instead of flowing over a compound nurbs surface, the item would be flowed between an inner and outer planar target surfaces. This functionality incorporated into a version of "mFlowObj" node would bring true paneling tools to MOI3D. (although probably not perceivable in below image: FlowPaneling.jpg, the flowed units all distort in one direction) The outer surface may simply be an offset of the inner surface, however it may also deviate dramatically from it (smooth inside/undulating outside)

I recall you stating in an earlier post that paneling functionality involve complicated mathematics:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1753.4
however one part of the problem has already been solved by node editor (the populating of planar facets of a mesh surface).

I love this software, and would like to see its popularity grow and I do think that this one area for attracting a whole new customer base.

Let me know if any of this is unclear.

Regards
-James

EDITED: 27 Nov 2016 by JFH

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.135 In reply to 6925.134 
Hi James, it's probably more likely that kind of deformation would fit in a "Cage edit" command, rather than as a 2 surface to 2 surface flow. For Flow I'm not sure how Flow could incorporate those without negative consequences for the existing workflow, since picking 2 surfaces would likely need additional selection steps.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.136 In reply to 6925.135 
Hi Michael,

To clarify what I meant I attached a 3 images. The first image shows an attempt to create a woven pattern flowed over a compound surface. The flowing of planar surface or curves with node editor works brilliantly; however flowing solids produces undesirable distortions (as shown).

The second image is taken from a "Paracloud Gem" manual. Their solution is an elegant one: define a bounding zone of deformation by front and back faces. I am proposing something similar.

>>For Flow I'm not sure how Flow could incorporate those without negative consequences for the existing workflow, since picking 2 surfaces would likely need additional selection steps.<<

Selecting the item to flow may be just as it is now.. Only the origin base surface or curve need be selected because the upper could be extrapolated as instantiation of base at the height of the item to be flowed.

There would however be additional step to select second target surface, but this would only be necessary if a checkbox is first clicked prior to selection of first target surface. See third image.

Please let me know if this is at all unclear.

James

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.137 In reply to 6925.136 
Hi James, it sounds like just too much special cased behavior to be put in a general purpose command like Flow, especially the part about the size of the objects to be flowed to implicitly select a second surface. There's just no consistency with that type of implicit selection happening in any other existing workflow in MoI currently. And then having it be a special case that only applies to all plane surfaces is another consistency problem.

But it could be possible to add some functionality for doing that elsewhere though that a script could access.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.138 In reply to 6925.137 
Hi Michael,

I'm not going to keep flogging this dead horse: I just wanted to make a final proposal.

After selection of the item to be flowed, the dialogue box would prompt "select base curve, surface or point cage".

If point cage is selected, the software expects that the flow targets will be an inner point array and outer point array.

I think this approach is consistent with the MOI philosophy of limited suite of tools with multiple functionality based
on input. (why have a specific tool for each of "Flow Along Curve", "Flow Along Surface", & "Paneling Tools", when
they could be folded into a single powerful tool: "Flow").

It is just a thought.
-James

BELOW IMAGE: Rhino 3d Panel & target point arrays

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.139 In reply to 6925.138 
Hi James, my first thought is that it would be pretty awkward for a user to set up multiple point arrays like that and deal with selecting them.

I'd think that it would be easier for someone to use a dedicated tiling tool where they'd be able to give a number of points in U and V and then that script would generate that whole result for them rather than doing it in individual stages trying to manage all those points at the same time.

But a similar thing that might be easier to build into Flow though would be an option in Flow for a number of tiles in U and V to generate, although that would probably generate curved walls on the output same as if you did a Flow on the curved surface right now. Maybe a "segmented" option could be added for that effect though.

For a point cage approach I don't really understand how a user is going to easily create and manage all those points though, that seems like a lot of specialized set up would be required.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6925.140 In reply to 6925.139 
Hi Michael,

>>it would be pretty awkward for a user to set up multiple point arrays like that and
deal with selecting them.....seems like a lot of specialized set up would be required.<<

I have only used an early WIP mac version of rhino which did not have this functionality.

Is the the setup for paneling tools in Rhino awkward and a lot of specialized set up required?

The initial point array is generated from a surface, and the second may be simply an offset of the first.
Though by manipulating the second point array, the resulting pattern may have a varied topology
across the surface as shown the rhino images in earlier post.

.>>But a similar thing that might be easier to build into Flow though
would be an option in Flow for a number of tiles in U and V to generate,
although that would probably generate curved walls on the output same
as if you did a Flow on the curved surface right now.<<

Node editor already handles the tiling of flowed items, it is the deformation
of the tessellation as a whole rather than individually that is the problem.
Is this what you me by a "segmented" option?

You mentioned "cage edit" in your first reply.
Is that something planned for Moi3d?

I think you are right: cage editing functionality together with
node editor for coupling of control vertices of the cage to
the points of 2 point arrays would solve this problem.

No doubt there is a better way, and if anyone can find it, it's you.

-James

EDITED: 30 Nov 2016 by JFH

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  …  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  …  561-574