How to reduce the partsize by a layer of 0,5mm?

Next
Hello,

I need to reduce the size of a part (blue wing section in the attached file) by a layer with a thickness of 0,4mm to provide room for a 0,4mm coating applied after machining the part.

I have been playing with negative values in offset without success.

How can I achieve this?

S.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Have you try to make a Shell / Direction / Flip ? (no need to input a negative value !
Then extrude sections if you don't want all reduce!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

I tried to make a shell but when I follow your instructions, the part size is increased by 0,5mm. I need a reduction.

S.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

I may be misunderstanding what you are requesting but could you just select one of the end curve profiles, select curve Offset, type in 0.4mm and place your cursor to the inside of the part, then just Extrude the part to the end? That worked for me, however you might be asking something else. I ended up with a part that could be wrapped with 0.4mm of material so it would match the dimensions of the blue model.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6921.5 In reply to 6921.1 
Hi simba - yes I think the way OSTexo describes is your best bet. Offset the curve that you have on one side of the blue wing, then delete the wing and extrude out a new one from the new offset curve.

It will be difficult to try and offset the surface itself due to the very tight bend in it on the trailing edge. Surface offsetting will tend to get confused and generate a self-intersecting result if you try to use an offset distance that's greater than the radius of curvature in a particular area of the surface.

Curve offsetting though can trim things like that away so when possible it can be good to do a curve offset of such things instead.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All