64bit support

Next
Ciao to everybody!
looking the task manager /cpu.ram usage while i'm using Moi3d i'm seeing that is like a 32bit program....it arrives max to use near 4gb ram and if it arrives near 4gb (3.6/3.7) it becomes really slow (the calculating voice appear for minutes)...i don't know if programs are like operative system (I remember that win7 32 bit can't use more than 4gb....instead win7 74bit can read more (depending from what version you have..)....but anyway, if it is 32 bit now....Is it planned to upgrade moi to 64bit on next release?
Sorry for my english...
--------

Arian DESIGN

--------

www.arianshamil.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6911.2 In reply to 6911.1 
Hi Arian, I do want to look into 64-bit support for MoI in the future. There will be a lot of work involved so I'm not entirely sure when it will happen though. Definitely not for the next v3 release which will probably be out next week though. I hope to do some investigation during the v4 time frame.

In the meantime, if your models are approaching around the 3.6GB ram consumption level you will probably need to break them apart into multiple separate files rather than just one single giant one in order to avoid MoI running out of 32-bit address space.

Also it can help a lot if you adjust some display settings to make a rougher display mesh. By default MoI makes a pretty dense display mesh which makes the shaded display look nice on screen but tends to consume quite a bit of memory if you've got a highly detailed model. To use a looser display mesh density, go to Options > View > Meshing parameters and change "Mesh angle" to a rougher angle like 25 or 30 degrees and uncheck "Add detail to inflection".

Changing those settings will result in a somewhat rougher and more jaggedy looking shaded display but can also substantially cut down on the amount of memory being used.

But you still don't want to push MoI to operate very close to the approx 3.6 GB memory limit it has because if it runs out of memory it can lead to unstable behavior. If you're near to that size you will need to separate your project into different pieces to avoid problems.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6911.3 In reply to 6911.2 
Next V3 release (next week) will be final V3 version?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6911.4 In reply to 6911.3 
Hi sandykoufax,

> Next V3 release (next week) will be final V3 version?

Yup, that will be the final V3 release version. Just today I think I've got the documentation wrapped up which was the major remaining area left to do. There will probably be a few days worth of other various preparation work so probably next week for the launch.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6911.5 In reply to 6911.4 
Really stoked for MoI 3. Can't wait!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6911.6 In reply to 6911.2 
Thanks for the detailed answer Michael and I'm happy to hear that your looking to 64 bit support on next releases of the software :)
I'm not a programmer but i can imagine there will be a lot of work to do...
And...can't wait to see the final V3 :)
Ciao Michael
Ari
--------

Arian DESIGN

--------

www.arianshamil.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print