Lofting Hull and Fuselage
 1-11  12-31  32-44

Previous
Next
6887.32 In reply to 6887.31 
Elrick,

The truck was scanned with the Focus3D from 6 locations (6 scans). Actually, we did not need most of what was scanned, just the area around the grille and bumper. Each scan typically takes 5 - 10 mins but this can vary depending on accuracy (sampling), point spacing, and color. If you don't need colored points (the scanner can take a set of photos to color the points) 5 mins or less per scan would be typical, particularly if you limit the scanning angle. The scanner is placed on a tripod and it rotates automatically around the vertical axis.

SolidWorks is good for many things, but constructing freeform or organic surfaces can be difficult and time consuming. Additionally, it does not have the tools to make the quality surfaces that are often needed for cosmetic work ie. Cars.

SolidWorks has various levels and add on packages, and it can get quite expensive. I just have the Standard version.
Image Attachments:
Size: 410.8 KB, Downloaded: 17 times, Dimensions: 1280x1022px
Size: 512.5 KB, Downloaded: 16 times, Dimensions: 1315x857px
Size: 341.1 KB, Downloaded: 17 times, Dimensions: 1033x806px
Size: 492.3 KB, Downloaded: 15 times, Dimensions: 1034x794px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.33 In reply to 6887.31 
Hi Elrick,

> My average control points through these profiles were about 22, which sounds like a lot?

Well it depends a lot on the particular curve.

Having 22 control points for a very short flat line segment is indeed sort of a lot. But for a longer bendy curve it's not particularly a lot at all...

That's not an amount that I'd be particularly worried about, I'd be more generally concerned about the overall quality of the shaping of the curves.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.34 In reply to 6887.30 
@chrisd,

> Is this a case where Sweep and Network Surface overlap in functionality, or is it preferable to use Sweep
> if you don't need more than 2 different guide rails?

There is some overlap between Sweep and Network in some cases like this, but they also do go about constructing the surface in slightly different ways which will have some impact on how the surface is shaped in the middle areas.

See here for some previous discussion:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3081.23
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5296.3

> For reverse engineering a bigger question is, if there are curves produced from a 3d
> scan or reference model, which surfacing tools will generate a surface that actually
> passes through the curve?

By default all surfacing tools will make surfaces that pass through the input curves to a tolerance of 0.001 units (for objects with a normal overall bounding box size). The only way you'll get less precise surfaces is if you change some of the options like set profiles mode to "# points" mode and use a low point count for the reconstructed profile count.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.35 In reply to 6887.33 
Thanks Michael! Im getting the hang of these control points. My difference between the profiles are usually not more than 0.2 mm/ 0.008". Its easy to inspect in GMD. My middle finger gets tired from zooming all the time. Getting eager to start :)

Chris, Your scan and alignments looks very neat! Seems like you also placed the newly made part over the scan for comparison? Were all these shots from GM Studio?

Elrick
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.36 In reply to 6887.35 
The deviation analysis was from Geomagic (Wrap). The other images were from SolidWorks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Dynamic sketching is very useful in VSR as well as the retopo tools in TSplines. If the surface gets too complex in Tsplines I use the surface approximation, control point modeling and deviation analysis in VSR as a compliment to simplify the surfaces while keeping the deviation where it needs to be. Those plugins in conjunction with Rhino and MoI are great for reverse engineering and organic surfacing, and I use them regularly for that purpose, along with scan data. Only downside of those plugins is that both companies were snapped up by Autodesk so their future with Rhino could be in jeopardy.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Greetings,

Got MoI for myself now. At work I operate with 1600x1200 resolution (17") and here at home HD (27"). Very big difference! Wont touch the 17" again! 4K will have MoI very shortly :)

I started fiddling around with the lighting options to get the most out of the surfaces. It gets a bit confusing. Is some settings supposed to exaggerate bad curvature or are they really that bad? Which settings are most reliable? I REALLY like the ability to change lighting settings!

Also began tests shelling these lofts and the results weren't what I expected. Takes a bit longer (not that I mind, as long as it works!) and really bad artifacts pops up after the command is executed. Tried the body as a whole and separated surfaces. It appears to work flawless with some surfaces and others not. Probably due to bad geometry? Have A feeling that the last profile on the loft (very small one) might be causing this one on the nose..? Any suggestions

Thanks
Elrick,
Image Attachments:
Size: 466.3 KB, Downloaded: 12 times, Dimensions: 1651x921px
Size: 2.3 MB, Downloaded: 30 times, Dimensions: 1536x4520px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.39 In reply to 6887.38 
Hi Elrick, the "metallic lighting" option will tend to make curvature more apparant, it basically makes the lighting work in a reflective style.

re: Shelling - unfortunately the geometry library that MoI uses does not have a particularly robust shelling mechanism and so shelling can have problems in many situations. It will be particularly difficult to shell or offset surfaces that have tightly bent areas in them where you try to use a thickness that is greater than the radius of curvature in those areas. That will cause the offset result to have badly formed surfaces with self intersections in them.

The geometry library in other CAD programs can tend to do a much better job of shelling than MoI, you might try exporting your model to ViaCAD which is inexpensive (like $99) and see if it can help you out with some of the more problematic shells.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.40 In reply to 6887.39 
Hi Michael, Thanks for your time!

So the metallic lighting option would help best for surface inspection?

"It will be particularly difficult to shell or offset surfaces that have tightly bent areas in them where you try to use a thickness that is greater than the radius of curvature in those areas."

This explains a lot! Are there any software capable of measuring minimum curvature in lofts or splines? I know where this occurs in the lofted part and I might be able to get rid of this problem by moving the control points in the 3d splines. Might speed up the process if I could quickly obtain minimum curvature. If only it were possible to keep the curvature in a spline larger than the required shell this problem might be dodged then?

I have to say that MoI have a higher success rate in shelling than GMD! But GMD have an alternative way to shell. The one in MoI are similar to the "Thicken" command in GMD's surfacing tab. Offsetting the surface perpendicular to the selected one (which I like to think of as the organic way), and then the "shell" command where you select faces of a solid and the shell is, what I like to think as, done mechanically. This way is better to me since you dont have overlapping geometry when you do a shell on individual lofts and assemble or unite them later.

This shelling is very important to me. I had to make copies of the lofts and scale them down and boolean subtract them from the original to "shell" this body. This only made the lofts hollow. Then had to trim away excessive planar geometry. In this situation it might have been really great if you could scale down a part respective to the XYZ axis. Are there any such way in MoI? Manipulating the bounding box of a whole body..?

Thank you very much.

Elrick
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.41 In reply to 6887.40 
Hi Elrick,

> So the metallic lighting option would help best for surface inspection?

Yes, I think so.

> Are there any software capable of measuring minimum curvature in lofts or splines?

Rhino has a CurvatureAnalysis command that can measure min or max radius of curvature and display it with a false color display on the surface.

> If only it were possible to keep the curvature in a spline larger than the required shell this problem might be dodged then?

Yeah it would help to avoid this one category of problem anyway with offset surfaces becoming self intersecting.

> In this situation it might have been really great if you could scale down a part
> respective to the XYZ axis. Are there any such way in MoI? Manipulating the
> bounding box of a whole body..?

Well, there is the Transform > Scale command - that will scale an object uniformly along the XYZ axes around the origin point that you pick. But I'm sorry I'm not really quite sure if that's the kind of scaling you're referring to or not, you may need to explain what you're looking for in some more detail.

- Michael

EDITED: 26 Sep 2014 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.42 In reply to 6887.41 
Hi Michael,

"But I'm sorry I'm not really quite sure if that's the kind of scaling you're referring to or not, you may need to explain what you're looking for in some more detail."

What I meant is to have the ability to Scale a part in all three dimensions rather than uniformly. When a rectangle prism is scaled the offset between the, original and scaled, surfaces wont be equal. I will share examples when I have some time. Not entirely sure but I think mesh mixer have this function where you could adjust the l/w/h of the bounding box. That way, when you do a boolean subtract, you could have a much more accurate "skin" rather than shelling gone bad. The inside of this fuselage aren't a concern really. But I need to cut on as much unnecessary geometry as possible.

Thanks
Elrick
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.43 In reply to 6887.42 
Hi Elrick, there are a few different ways you can do a "non-uniform" scale with different scale factors for X, Y, and Z.

The easiest is to click on the size line in the properties panel here:

That will bring down an "Edit size" panel where you'll be able to enter in new values for the bounding box size:

By default it will scale uniformly but if you uncheck the "Maintain proportions" checkbox that will then allow you to change x y z independent from each other for a nonuniform scale:

Another way is to go to the Top/Front/Right 2D views and use the edit frame to do a one directional scale, some info on that here:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference11.htm#editframe
That's when you grab the sizing handle and drag it vertically or horizontally, you will see a tracking line and when that's active you'll be doing a one directional scale. Repeat that in other directions.

The other way is to use the Transform > Scale > Scale1D command, which allows you to scale things in one direction. You can use this repeatedly on all of the X Y and Z directions to do a non uniform scale in all those directions.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6887.44 In reply to 6887.43 
Thanks Michael! Quite some options! I tried your first method mentioned. Quite funny how you can shrink this whole body down to just n few millimeters. Something not quite sound this way. I'll make sure before I post.

Will try the other methods tomorrow! This is totally what I was looking for!

Much appreciated,

Elrick
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-11  12-31  32-44