Lofting Hull and Fuselage
 1-20  21-40  41-44

Next
Hello,

Im starting with the tutorials and user guide and need some advice before hand. Im currently drawing with Geomagic Design and, from what I recently heard and saw, believe I might get much better hazzle free results with MoI. I was hoping that I dont need to redraw this particular part because I've made a pretty good part, from the original part, in Mesh Mixer. But by the looks of it only the most advanced and expensive mesh software can convert an Stl to an Iges accurately. GMD have a command to convert a polygon mesh to a solid (Iges) but the detail of the sharper edges are lost in the conversion. The smoother curves arent affected by the conversion. From attched screenshots could be seen I currently have two bodies as references for what I need to re-draw in MoI. The original part drawn in GMD and the smoothed imported one from MM.

I see there are quite some topics regarding Hull's but I need something a bit more specific. There are strange shapes on the bottom of this particular hull, "Step, planing strakes & bow chimes", that makes the lofting very complicated. (or atleast in GMD it was). Could some one please refer me to similar threads or help in a good direction?

I was thinking of making slices through these existing parts and use the remaining edges as guides for clean profiles. From watching youtube videos I picked up some helpfull tips. Believe "Andrei" was the man who made lofts from blueprints. Even without sound I enjoyed watching them. This might be a bit more easy since I already have the actual part for reference. I do realise it wont be possible to do the whole body in one loft but I believe I can do it with much less in MoI.

Unfortunately I cant share the parts.

Thanks in advance,
Elrick

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.2 In reply to 6887.1 
Everything about LOFT and organic methods.
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6058.1
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.3 In reply to 6887.2 
Thanks Andrei! Your videos made me believe I stand a better chances with MoI to achieve what I need.

The video where you make a loft of a Boeing 747 gave me some great insight to loft behavior. I always draw my splines with interpolation points but started using control points instead. As you mentioned, and the results prove, to keep minimum control points and keep the same profile right through the loft. I want to try this method first and see how good it would work for my shape. In GMD you need to use guide curves between lofts otherwise you end up with waves all over. Im very curious to see how it would work because I will probably need to start from the largest profile and copy it from start to end? Do you think this method will work for my shape?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.4 In reply to 6887.3 
Elrico, it is not necessary to copy profiles you just have to try to keep the same amount of points in profiles for better result, copyng is just the simple way to dublicate profiles. Also in that tutorial I used very small profile at the end now you can use point instead.

EDITED: 1 Sep 2014 by ANDREI SAMARDAC

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.5 In reply to 6887.1 
Hi Elrick, yes probably Andrei's lofting method is what you'd want to look into.

But the whole area of "reverse engineering" where you're trying to reconstruct an existing shape accurately has a lot of complexity around it and it's not an area of work that MoI is really specifically focused on. So just keep in mind that it's a pretty advanced and tricky type of work that you're getting into here.

You'll generally want to make one single loft to be a broad and smoothly shaped surface, the other details like the sharp ridges and indentations will probably need to be trimmed out areas in the main hull where you have other smaller surfaces coming up from those trimmed areas, rather than trying to directly include those into one single loft.

> But by the looks of it only the most advanced and expensive mesh software can convert an Stl to an
> Iges accurately. GMD have a command to convert a polygon mesh to a solid (Iges) but the detail of
> the sharper edges are lost in the conversion.

Yes, polygon mesh data and CAD solids data are pretty different in structure. You can convert from CAD solids into meshes in a fairly straightforward way by dicing big smooth surface patches up into little facets but it's a quite complex process to go the reverse way and try to reconstruct large smooth surface patches from a big soup of little facet pieces.

There are various reverse engineering tools that are focused on that kind of stuff but they tend to be expensive and used for more special situations, not really part of the sort of "standard" CAD modeling toolset.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.6 In reply to 6887.5 
Thanks for the advice gents!

> So just keep in mind that it's a pretty advanced and tricky type of work that you're getting into here.

This was my expectation.

I cant stray too far from the original designs because the bottom of the hull was specifically designed for high speeds on water. As were the pontoons. My main goal at the moment is to make a better 3d Pdf for online presentational purposes. I will attach a screenshot from a recent pdf I've made. The area I need to improve is marked. Because of its complexity I had to use multiple lofts. Its not very clear yet but Im starting to see the way in MoI. Do you think I might be able to use a network in the shape of this complex form and trim it away from a full loft? Or will I have a better chance to make solids and boolean subtract ?

Thanks,
Elrick
Image Attachments:
Size: 913.4 KB, Downloaded: 99 times, Dimensions: 1920x1080px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.7 In reply to 6887.6 
Hi Elrick,

> Do you think I might be able to use a network in the shape of this complex form and trim it away from a full loft?

Possibly Network or Sweep for the long ridge-like type pieces.

> Or will I have a better chance to make solids and boolean subtract ?

You'd probably want to work with Edit > Trim - working with solids and doing booleans can be convenient when you are able to use them but with something like a complex hull surface it may not be so easy to get it into a solid right off the bat. When that's the case you can use the Edit > Trim command instead of booleans.

Trim is sort of a "low level" way to do surface cutting - it allows you to cut a surface but then you manually pick which pieces of the cut up surface to discard.

Booleans are sort of a wrapper around Trim that automatically picks which pieces to discard based on which solid volume they are contained inside of. But if you're working with complex surfaces that are not so easy to maintain as solids then you'll probably be working more at the Trim level instead.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.8 In reply to 6887.7 
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the advice! Im still busy thinking this through. There is on thing I noticed today which will be of enormous help to me. The shell command of GMD let me down on many ocations before and I saw the shell command from MoI does it very fast and trouble free! Making these parts hollow has been a pita.

I could add that section in the right marked area if anyone wants to try it in MoI. I''l be working on both MoI during working hours and GMD in after hours. I have to see if the rules in MoI have the same effect in GMD. But so far the spline by control points helped me smooth out all the waves in the contour lines I got from slicing the fuselage. Which would serve much better guide curves for the lofts.

I have one question I havent noticed in the MoI guide so far. Its a very simple thing I cant seem to do. Why is the splines in MoI stretching in a symetrical way when I try to move it? Which shortcut or button controls this?

Thanks,

Elrick
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 204.6 KB, Downloaded: 78 times, Dimensions: 1920x1080px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.9 In reply to 6887.8 
Hi Elrick,

> Why is the splines in MoI stretching in a symetrical way when I try to move
> it? Which shortcut or button controls this?

It sounds like it's the "History" function at work - after you do a mirror of something if you then edit the original the mirror transform will be reapplied and the mirrored version will update.

If you don't want it to happen you can disable history on that object by selecting the mirrored piece (or just select both pieces), and then run the Edit > History command and push the "Disable update" button that shows up in the command options area.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.10 In reply to 6887.1 
Elrick,

I'm curious to know how you got the model from MeshMixer into MOI.

Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.11 In reply to 6887.10 
Hi Mike,

I exported the Stl from GMD into MM. After I've transformed all the lofts into one body and smoothed it where I can, I exported the stl back to GMD and used the "convert mesh to solid" comand. Its new features recently added to GMD. It makes Nurb surfaces from an existing mesh. Where the stl of about 1Gb shrinks down to 10Mb! It is effective but not a sound feature yet. The edges loses its sharpness. So if the shape contains sharp edges it might not be a good idea if you are looking for an accurate conversion. Only software I heard of that seems capable of handling this complex sort of calculations is Geomagic Studio & Design X. The trail versions wont let you export anything so I dont know how effective it is. Our project is innovative so theres no budget for such software yet. After GMD did the conversion I exported it as an Iges.

Will add some demonstrations. Its very useful to inspect surfaces in software like keyshot. Dont know if theres such but Im bussy looking for a Zebra HDRI? I dont like the zebra rendering from Rhino too much.

I were impressed to see how much the lofts have improved in GMD using Andrei's shared tips! After I saw the great results I got determined to redo this whole body. After this is done I will attempt it in MoI and give some feedback :)

Elrick
Image Attachments:
Size: 3 MB, Downloaded: 79 times, Dimensions: 2336x2116px
Size: 1.5 MB, Downloaded: 74 times, Dimensions: 2840x2764px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Sorry, what is GMD ?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.13 In reply to 6887.12 
GMD short for Geomagic Design. Others refer to it as GM. Used to be Alibre until 3ds baught them out. Not 100% sure about all the "politics".
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

Using Blends and Fillets allows you to preserve some continuity between your surfaces and may end up simplifying them so you can tweak them a bit more easily. You might want to check out VSR/Autodesk tools for Rhino, and TSplines may be a candidate as well for this sort of surfacing work.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.15 In reply to 6887.11 
Thank you, Elrick.

When I checked the GMD website and looked for the price I only saw an email link, "Click here for a quote." Ugh, never a good sign for us hobbyists.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.16 In reply to 6887.15 
http://www.alibre.com/products/ad_compare.asp

around 2000$, 2000€, 1700£
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.17 In reply to 6887.15 
Pleasure Mike! If your file arent too big I could try the conversion for you?

GMD's full package is quite expensive. But compared to Solid Works it aint too bad. I would have prefered to start this project in SW but yet again the budget. SW comes as one package I assume? GMD have quite some additional/optional software add ons. Choosing a package for your needs, keeping the prices low. The full package we got about three years ago included Alibre CAM (which I use quite often on the CNC machine), Keyshot (low resolution) and MoI. Some very usefull functions are the assemblies, configurations and constraints. When you, for instance, want to see all the doors open or wheels out, you just activate a configuration. (Havent noticed this in MoI yet?) Works with other stuff like colours, transparency and exploded views too. But I would say GMD is more on the mechanical side of the CAD world. On their forum there havent been much support for these odd lofts.

Theres one other thing I tried but didnt work so well. Exporting slices from Mesh Mixer to Rhino as obj's. Tried both "Stacked" and "Stacked 3d". Then use Rhino's mesh2NURB command, which were very effective on the slices, and export it as an Iges. Not a very practcal way because this takes forever. Probably depends on the size of your mesh and the software youre trying to import to. The mesh of this fuselage I is about 8,4m long 2,4m high 1,7m wide. With a cell size of 0.5mm containing 2.6 milion vertices. So I probably were pushing my luck. When I tried to convert the full body/obj Rhino kept on crashing. If you have rhino you could try a whole body. But in fact this doesnt give you Nurbs. Sort of an exact nurb replica of the mesh. See attachment. This small part took about 20minutes to load. Part 10 of 168. When the files started taking longer than 60 min I realised this aint practical.
Image Attachments:
Size: 2.6 MB, Downloaded: 47 times, Dimensions: 2116x3072px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.18 In reply to 6887.6 
Hi Elrick,

"My main goal at the moment is to make a better 3d Pdf for online presentational purposes." I also read that you have already have a mesh.

Is the existing mesh not sufficient to make a 3d pdf?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.19 In reply to 6887.18 
Hi Chris,

Thanks for bringing this up. Yes you can bring them into Pdf. But in my opinion, the renders from the converted mesh looks bad in Adobe. And to make this hollow will make it look even worse. So that option is out for this purpose unfortunately. Cos it was an approach I hope would have worked!

Forgot to mention that I also need to make keyshot renders. (Lovely place to inspect surfaces! It shows you flaws you wont see anywhere else.) I am positive that the lofts from MoI would make very good surfaces to render in KS. Thats why Im here :) But after Michael s heads up I realized this wont be happening over night. I should start with small steps to make sure how to utilize MoI properly. Will buy it for my own personal use to learn after hours.

Elrick

Some related shots about topics.
Image Attachments:
Size: 2.4 MB, Downloaded: 78 times, Dimensions: 2872x5232px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6887.20 In reply to 6887.19 
How was the mesh that you used in the 3d pdf originally created ... from 3d scan, output from other CAD software, or other?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-44