Need some help with fillet
All  1-6  7-8

Previous
Next
6868.7 In reply to 6868.6 
Hi Michael,

I will look into the scale thing in the future.

How I constructed the top part:
-I started from rectangle, made a plane and extruded it to a box.
-then I drew my curve in front view , mirrored them, and trimmed it on the surface of the box.
-then I used the extrude tool to push the side pieces away until they disappeared.
( I started out modeling with sketchup, so the new extrude auto Boolean thing kind of makes sense to me = push/pull tool in sketchup )
- next I copied and orated one of my trim curves to line up with my Right view and adjusted it a bit.
- I trimmed this adjusted curve on the solid
- did another push extrude until the part disappeared and had my solid as. It is.

Since had some problems with the fillet tool.
I checked some things out and noticed that the front two curves of my solid was made out of multiple pieces and had to be selected separately ( I think because of pushing the trimmed surface in 2 directions?)
So I joined them, giving me a new curve.
I deleted the front plane, deleted the original (broken) curves and replaced them with the new ones.
At first I did a network on the top front to reconstruct that curved surface, but that didn't help the fillet.
So I went back and did a loft instead.
If I recall correctly, I think I lofted all 3 curved surfaces like that.
At least 2.

I can't send you a file right now,
But I should have a file with the original curves in it, so i can send it to you tomorrow when I'm back at my office.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Hello Glenn,

It just so happens that you're able to get those last two bottom fillets to be a value of 1 and have it end up a nice watertight solid. The key is to extend the bottommost box along the long axis so you can Fillet the lines you indicated with a value of 1. Then just create the bottom box again and select a Fillet operation of 1 on the lines you indicated. Remove the internally created faces and Join the two surfaces together into a Solid. Those fillets along the top edge between the two major parts of your model will probably require a bit more thinking to blend in nicely.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-8