MoI wishlist
 1-20  21-40  41-60  …  81-98

Next
Hi Michael et al,

I've created a new wishlist based on working with the fabulous MoI for a number of months now.

I realize that V3 is about to be released, so I guess this is my V4 beta wishlist.

The wishes are in order of importance to me (highest is most important). Please correct me if I'm asking for things that are already possible.

• Improved fillet and offset/shell algorithm(s), more capable of tackling complex situations without creasing / tearing / self-intersecting surfaces and failed calculations, ideally including crossing / overlapping fillets.

• A view-based move, rotate and scale tool, for quick view-based manipulations in the perspective view. I really miss this.

• A local coordinate system, remembering the orientation, scale and direction of each object, with a matching move/scale/rotate gadget around it when objects / elements are selected.

• Instancing of curves, surfaces and solids. This would be particularly useful when adjusting one element of a large array.

• Cage / lattice deformation, preferably including:

— Different lattice shapes to choose from, like box and cylinder, with a non-destructively adjustable number of points. It would be great if the deformation would be remembered along with the deformed object(s), so you could go back and adjust or reset the cage at any time.

— An option to conform the lattice shape to the object shape before starting the transform, so the control points are projected onto the surface of the object when you start deforming.

— Different deformation algorithms to choose from, such as B-Spline, Catmull-Rom, Cardinal and Linear (like the lattice deformation options in Blender 3D).

• Easier moving of elements within a solid or surface. For example, if you have a mouth cavity in a solid of a character's head, to move the mouth a little, you now have to:

— separate the inner surfaces of the mouth,
— move those surfaces to a new location,
— extract the trimmed mouth curve,
— delete it from the solid,
— move the extracted mouth trim curve to the new inner mouth surfaces location,
— trim the mouth shape from the solid again,
— join everything to restore the solid.

• Hold on to your seat... ㋡ A dynamic, non-destructive object manipulation history, with:

— Non-destructive filleting, so you can always go back, adjust the fillet amount, modify or remove a variable fillet point, or revert to a sharp edge.

— Non-destructive Booleans, enabling you to manipulate the source and target objects at any time after the Boolean operation to adjust the result, to remove a Booleaned object or to restore the individual Booleaned objects. Ideally this would include dynamically readjusting fillets if those were added after the Boolean operation. But I can imagine that I'm asking for quite complex stuff here.

• Option to easily change points from smooth to corner and vice versa, after a shape is created.

• Saving of mesh export settings with MoI 3DM files.

• A (simplified) real-time mesh structure overlay mode on your NURBS objects, to preview the polygon structure of the current scene. I would find this very useful for determining the best orientation, rotation and/or location of objects, especially when they need to be combined using Boolean.

• Viewport navigation enhancements:

— Resizable viewports in the quad view, so you can make one or two views larger without having to switch to a full-screen view.

— Ability to switch to a left / back / bottom view in the quad view, in stead of having to go full-screen for that.

— A camera / viewport roll control (e.g. middle or right pen/mouse button together with Alt, Ctrl or Shift).

• A smooth / relax function for a selection of curve / surface points, with an adjustable strength / number of iterations.

• Permanent construction lines, remaining intact and adjustable regardless of finishing object creation, saved along with a 3DM file, and importable from other MoI scenes.

• Saving of open or closed roll-out status with MoI 3DM files, like Objects, Types and Styles. An "Expand all roll-outs" option in the MoI settings would do too.

• A manifold mesh check and vertex weld treshold value in the polygon format export dialogs. Now sometimes an exported mesh turns out not to be manifold, but after auto-selecting the non-manifold edges of a mesh in Blender and welding the vertices with a certain treshold, the mesh becomes manifold and suitable for 3D printing.

• Soft selection option for points, with adjustable influence / falloff, so you can move one point and influence neighboring points. This would be useful for quick and smooth manipulation of curves, surfaces and solids with more than a few points.

• No new edge creation when using the Extrude tool to extend the side of some solid types, such as a cylinder cap.

• An object name list dialog addition to the Import function, to import only selected named objects / object sets from an other MoI scene, in stead of importing everything. Every named object / set in the list could be checked by default, with Select All, Select None and Select Invert options included.

Muchas gracias in advance!

Metin

EDITED: 29 Oct 2014 by SEVENSHEAVEN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.2 In reply to 6864.1 
Hi Metin, that's a great list. I'd definitely like to get some of those implemented for v4, but some of them are very time consuming areas of work though.

Re: 08: Option to scale a selection without deformation. In other words: moving objects closer to each other or away from each other to or from a center point, without scaling the objects.

For this try the ExplodeMove command:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2781.3
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#explodemove

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.3 In reply to 6864.2 
Hi Michael,

Many thanks! Looking forward to see one or more of my suggestions in a future MoI version.

ExplodeMove does exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I had read about it before, but thought it would also separate surfaces in selected solids, but now I know it only does that when a single solid is ExplodeMoved.

Have a nice Sunday,

Metin

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) modeling • animation • artwork • design • illustration • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi again,

I've changed number 8 to the following wish:

History enabled (by default) for arrays, so you can change the base object and see the change propagated to the copies in realtime.

Thanks,

Metin

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) modeling • animation • artwork • design • illustration • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
To be honest the priority I'd want to see are object instances. One cannot afford to change 100 identical objects manually if one changes.
Max.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.6 In reply to 6864.5 
Thanks Max, I second that, and will adjust the array history wish accordingly.

EDITED: 17 Aug 2014 by SEVENSHEAVEN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Added:

11: An object name list dialog addition to the Import function, to import only selected named objects / object sets from an other MoI scene, in stead of importing everything. Every named object / set in the list could be checked by default, with Select All, Select None and Select Invert options included.

EDITED: 17 Aug 2014 by SEVENSHEAVEN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Let's say that for example I have a lamp with 15 identical screws in it.
I modeled everything, but I realize the 15 screws look bad, so I want to edit them. I want to edit just one of them, and the rest will update accordingly.
The lack of this feature got me frustrated many times, and (being honest) I thought about switching to another software, but I love it too much, so I always made the effort.
So I can already see that, see that new list in the browser named "components".
Best wishes :)
Max.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi, some good ideas in that list. Here's a couple I would like to see at some point:

A method for arranging objects into groups as shown below

A way of assigning a pre-existing name to a newly created object...

:-) Mark

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I would like to see a more powerful fillets package.

Also a way to better organize the Objects list.

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.11 In reply to 6864.9 
Hi Mark,

> A way of assigning a pre-existing name to a newly created object...

There are a couple of plug-ins that can help with this currently -

AssignName - set the name of an object from a list of existing named objects:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3830.4

AssignPresetName - set the name of an object from a fixed preset list of names in a text file:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3830.8

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Changed my top-priority wishlist entries to:

• A view-based move, rotate and scale tool, for quick view-based manipulations in the perspective view. I really miss this.

• A local coordinate system, remembering the orientation, scale and direction of each object, with a matching move/scale/rotate gadget around it when objects / elements are selected.

Maybe it's already possible. In that case I'd love to know how. Right now my workaround is to set the CPlane to a new object orientation every time, and switch to a front/side/top view to get the rotate/scale gadget around my selection. But that's too elaborate.

EDITED: 19 Aug 2014 by SEVENSHEAVEN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
FISRT! Polygonal like modeling (Like T-Spline)!
SECOND! Instances!

Russian community of MOI 3D: www.vk.com/moi3d
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Andrei,

I've read about Rhino's T-Splines. Would be great indeed. The perfect cross-over between poly and NURBS modeling.

———————

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.15 In reply to 6864.12 
Hi Metin,

>Right now my workaround is to set the CPlane to a new object orientation every time, and
> switch to a front/side/top view to get the rotate/scale gadget around my selection. But
> that's too elaborate.

Check out here for a script that will set the cplane to the 3D view direction, that might help to ease this process somewhat:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2599.4

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.16 In reply to 6864.15 
Hey, that's great, thanks for the pointer, Michael!

Just added this to the list (no high priority for me, but very welcome nonetheless):

• A smooth / relax function for a selection of curve / surface points, with an adjustable strength / number of iterations.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Added (medium priority to me):

• Viewport navigation enhancements:

— Resizable viewports in the quad view, so you can make one or two views larger without having to switch to a full-screen view.

— Ability to switch to a left / back / bottom view in the quad view, in stead of having to go full-screen for that.

— A camera / viewport roll control (e.g. middle or right pen/mouse button together with Alt, Ctrl or Shift).

EDITED: 20 Aug 2014 by SEVENSHEAVEN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.18 In reply to 6864.17 
Hi Metin,

> — A camera / viewport roll control (e.g. middle or right pen/mouse button together with Alt, Ctrl or Shift).

See here for how to set up a shortcut key to do this:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6680.2

> — Ability to switch to a left / back / bottom view in the quad view, in stead of
> having to go full-screen for that.

Set up the following script on a shortcut key and it will allow you to do that - when you trigger it, it will reverse the view that the mouse is over:

script: /* Reverse view under mouse */ moi.ui.mainWindow.viewpanel.reverseView( moi.ui.getActiveViewport().name );

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6864.19 In reply to 6864.18 
Muchas gracias, señor Michael! This is very useful.

———————

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I wanted to stop throwing my two cents, but here I go again.
While MoI is an excellent tool for modeling (best I ever used so far), at the moment it lacks some very important features that are mandatory to start competing with other software on the market.
For most of us, modeling is fun, but it's pointless if we cannot easily produce the technical documentation needed. And you know that, you cannot deny that you HAVE to switch to another software for that. For example I had to import into Rhino for making simple sections, which is absurd.

Modeling and drafting:
- Dimensions and simple constraints (ref. http://solvespace.com/index.pl).
- Simple drafting tools such as line types and thickness as properties of a style, text, hatches.
- Dynamic boolean difference,
- cutting planes for making the production of technical drawings faster and in a non-destructive way. They help a lot during the thinking process, too.

Project management:
- Instances.
- Nested groups.
- Please an optimization in the object stack when in isolation mode. In complex scenes, drawing starts to become sluggish.

So that's really all.
Thank you for your time.
Max.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-98